• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Melt With You

Daily Gullet Staff

Now I'm starving! I love a good patty melt, but is it a travesty that I like mine with American cheese? No other cheese gets as gooey and melty and all down in the crevasses of onion like American.

Not travesty (but) having tried all many cheeses Swiss is teh besto IMHO.

--edit: Especially tasty @ 2 in the morning 3 really (happy daylight savings time)

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Now I'm starving! I love a good patty melt, but is it a travesty that I like mine with American cheese? No other cheese gets as gooey and melty and all down in the crevasses of onion like American.

While I'll agree about American's melting properties, I don't think it has enough flavor to stand up to the other ingredients. However, there are worse things.

Dare I mention grilled , um I mean griddled cheese sandwiches with French's on the inside and honey spread on the outside? 

Honey on the outside??? Please to splain.

Stay tuned for that story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I applaud your sense of what's right! I have always thought the Patty Melt was the highest creation that could come from hamburger and a grill. For me it has the right amount of the right tastes to perfectly compliment a hamburger patty, and has always been one of my favorites.

And I completely embrace your history of it's creation. Although we did have Tiny Naylor's restaurants where I grew up. hmmm....

Robyn

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti

• 1 month later...

Just thought it was worth mentioning that for a recent cocktail party class I taught, I introduced the concept of the appetizer patty melt, made on cocktail rye bread -- cut in half, it made the perfect two-bite snack.

I read this Article this morning and made Patty Melts for dinner after a quick trip to the store for some Rye Bread.

Please don't ever write about me sending you all my money.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

• 3 months later...