• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you reading these days?

helenas

Finished "On Rue Tartin" and "Feeding Frenzy" - both fun adventures. Picked up "More Home Cooking" and "Endless Feasts" (Sixty years of writing from Gourmet.)

Thinking this train of reading needs a break to something less gastronomic, but why?

"Summerland"  Michael Chabon

"The Book of Illusions"  Paul Auster (the greatest living American writer)

Ron: How was "Summerland"? I adored "Kavalier and Clay", but could not get into "Mysteries of Pittsburgh".

I am reading Paul Auster's "Moon Palace" now and enjoying it greatly. What other of his books should I read? The only other one I have read is "Timbuktu".

Food related--recently finished:

Escoffier's memoirs

"The last Days of Haute Cuisine"

I am a one-book-at-a-timer. If I try to read multiple book, I always focus on one, and never finish the other(s). :blink:

Not sure how I have done it but I have actually found some time to read.

I just finished Nancy Taylor Rosenberg's Trial by Fire (an old hand me down from a friend) and although no different than any other suspense/law books it was enjoyable

Now I have picked from my bookshelf, The Tears of My Soul by Kim Hyun Hee (1993). I read this ever couple years as it is a fascinating account of the woman (a North Korean agent) who placed a bomb on Korean Air 858 in 1987 causing an explosion that killed all 115 on board. Orginally given a death sentence by the South Korean Government, she was later given a full pardon. This book is part of her atonement to those who lost their lives and it descibes in detail the life of the military/elite in North Korea.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I can second Adam's review of Thai Food by David Thompson.

I grew up in Thailand, and watched our succession of Thai cooks cook, watched the ladies at the markets pound their pastes, and ate every possible food from street vendors, hole in the wall restaurants -- both in Bangkok and the rest of the country -- and most everything here is right on the money.

Definitely one to own. I checked it out of the library and renewed it so many times I don't think they'll ever let me check it out again, so it is #1 on my Xmas list. This one may but the other Thai cookbooks I have on that bookshelf at the back of the basement.

And, yes, the cover is cool.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ron: How was "Summerland"?  I adored "Kavalier and Clay", but could not get into "Mysteries of Pittsburgh".

I am reading Paul Auster's "Moon Palace" now and enjoying it greatly.  What other of his books should I read?  The only other one I have read is "Timbuktu".

Sorry Mixmaster, just getting back to this thread.

Summerland is a guilty pleasure, as it is technically a "children's book", although Chabon has written a novel to be enjoyed on many levels. The guy is a genius. I am reading bits and pieces of it as I read other books. It is just delightful. True escapism.

Moon Palace and Timbuktu are both good, but not Auster's best or most exemplar. Read Leviathan and the New York Trilogy. You will be mesmerized. Follow those up with Mr. Vertigo. There is something about Auster's work that I find so engrossing.

Amazing to find the seemingly only two other Hamilton fans here on Egullet - Simon and Wilfrid. :wub:

Part of me wishes someone would do a decent movie adaption of "Hangover Square". Then the smart part of me slaps the dumb part and I move on.

Finally got my order from buy.com containing books by Ripert and Boulud.

But here is a catch: i don't know which one to start reading first, or maybe i should continue with Paris Sweets that i got couple of days ago: also a fascinating read. But i swear - i'm not buying more books this year, unless it will be attractively discounted "Jeremiah Towers Cooks" or Girardet or Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design

btw, any other fans of Not So Big House series here?

And since we're on the subject (although seriosly off-topic) what are your favorite interior design books?

From the library, Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World, by Sue Shepard. I'm almost through Drying, and still have Salting, Pickling in Vinegar, Smoking, Fermenting, ...Canning, ...Refrigeration and Freezing, and a couple of other chapters to go. More than one has ever thought about re: putting food by. Quite a piece of work -- it was nominated for the 2001 IACP Jane Grigson Award, which recognizes scholarship in food writing.

I'm also working my way through James Peterson's Glorious French Food, but that's another story entirely.

Just finished Lovely Bones. Ironic that I was finishing the last few pages as I was monitoring my chicken stock.

Diana is reading Emma for school, so I've picked it up (again).

And, Helena, I am familiar with the Not So Big series. She's Minnesota based, so we knew about her long before she became popular. And, since we live in a Not So Big House, I have read both of her books.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

But here is my real question:

Has anybody picked In The Image: The Novel yet? Looks like a book to  be read next.

I'm just about through with this one. Thought it was a bit slow starting, but like it alot. Completely different from my usual reads. Many little stories that you know will end up coming together in the end. Wise words from such a young writer.

• 4 weeks later...

"Fading Feasts" by Raymond Sokolow, author of "Why We Eat What We Eat" (have I got that right?). I like this guy; clear, unshowy and logical style. The book in question is a series of essays on American culinary traditions which were fast disappearing (when the book was written about ten years ago). No more squirrels in the burgoo, for example; the parlous state of the Kentuckjy moonshine industry; the erosion of artisanal Smithfield ham curing.

One chapter which shocked me was about key limes. He says that whenever we are served something claiming to be made from key limes, like key lime pie, the juice is almost certainly from a different and more readily available kind of lime. I didn't realise. Is that still generally the case? I know I have seen and handled real key limes (distinctive shape and all), but can't now remember where. It may have been in the Caribbean.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses. So far i'm not sure if i like it or not: the language sounds a bit akward, maybe due to translation (although who am i to judge!). The illustrations are hilarious, though!

Also rereading Wolfert's middle eastern books, as well as The Momo Cookbook, in anticipation of

Ziryab: Authentic Arab Cuisine :wub:

"Gargantua & Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais. Very funny it is too.

Adam -- Does this book contain considerable food description?

Also, have members read the following:

"Apicius Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome", by Joseph D. Vehling (Editor), or

"The Roman Cookery of Apicius", by John Edwards

Edited by cabrales (log)