• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you reading these days?

helenas

"Gargantua & Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais. Very funny it is too.

Adam -- Does this book contain considerable food description?

It certainly does, and lots of drinking too. It also has some splendid jokes; such as the one about the jealous husband and his ring of fidelity. In addition it lists several unusual synonyms for the virile member; a personal favourite being "Mister Go Rough Stiff and Low".

I always have my nose in Food Lover's Companion; especially when reading here.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

A Life of Her Own by Emilie Carles

Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry (coming highly recommended from

Bourdain)

Kitchen Confidential was an incredibly fast read- 2 sittings and I was done

and heralding it to all my friends and coworkers; same with A Cook's Tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Non-food: Just started The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand. I read The Hours in an hour.

Food: am going to pick up again Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher. Started it this summer and forgot about it.

There are lots of good books on this thread--makes me want to print it out and go to the bookstore, but for me, that's a very dangerous proposition.

What I Saw, Berlin 1920-1933 by Joseph Roth.

These are brief articles written for German newspapers. Beautiful prose.

The Weimar. :sad:

Oh. On topic: Knackwurst.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Just finished:

Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis.

Fierce Pajamas Anthology of humor writing from the New Yorker

Currently reading:

The Best Recipe recipes from the editors of Cooks Illustrated

The Origins of Virtue Matt Ridley

The latest New Republic and Fine Cooking

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Just received as a gift "Jeramiah Tower Cooks", only had a chance to glance through it so far, but am looking forward to really delving in.

A great novel that is "food oriented" is "The Five Quarters of the Orange" by Joanne Harris. I noticed a previous post someone is reading Chocolat (I haven't read that).

Also have "A Cooks Tour" on the shelf and am hoping it is less vulgar and more informative than "Kitchen Confidential". (I have a feeling that comment won't make me too popular on this site).

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Also have "A Cooks Tour" on the shelf and am hoping it is less vulgar and more informative than "Kitchen Confidential".  (I have a feeling that comment won't make me too popular on this site).

It's not.

It won't. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Just i finished Auster's "Glass City".

Haven't had such a pleasure from reading for a long, long time.

Helena,

Is that your first Auster novel? If so, you have many wonderful books to read ahead of you. Leviathan, New York Trilogy, Mr. Vertigo . . . He is so so good.

Right now I am reading: Between Bites by Villas, The Indispensable Noam Chomsky, Dressing the Man by Flusser. All quite good. :smile:

Just finished the The Leopard, by Giovanni di Lampedusa (I probably have that wrong). I've been on a huge Sicily kick, and particularly Sicilian food, so this was a great addition to Mary Taylor Simetti, Anna Tasca Lanza, etc.

I have Eat Fat by Richard Klein on my bookshelf... someone gave it to me. Anybody here read it? Recommend it? And should I be insulted that a colleague thought this would be an appropriate Secret Santa gift for me?

A month ago, I had just picked up a couple of books: Supper of the Lamb, by Robert Farrar Capon, and Life of Pi, by Yann Martel.

I only made it past the first few introductory pages when the semester unabashedly sprang upon me. Now I'm reading every photography book I can lay my hands upon.

I'm hoping to have some time to read again someday. Maybe during the summer session? I'm printing my wish list from this most informative thread.

Just finished Lovely Bones.  Ironic that I was finishing the last few pages as I was monitoring my chicken stock.

:wacko:

the student book club that i sponsor just met to discusss the lovely bones. there were a lot of mixed feelings about it and some surprising insight into the characters coming from 18-yr-olds.

our next book is dress codes by noelle howie. i am finishing up nickel and dimed by barbara eihrenreich. as far as food-related, her accounts of the dietary habits of the working poor are about as unsettling as anything i've read lately. i mean, i almost feel guilty when i open my fridge.

jaybee, that's a great book. I know you'll enjoy it.

i am finishing up nickel and dimed by barbara eihrenreich.  as far as food-related, her accounts of the dietary habits of the working poor are about as unsettling as anything i've read lately.  i mean, i almost feel guilty when i open my fridge.

This book should be required reading. I read it about a year ago and I still get angry when I so much as look at the cover!

Not at Ehrenreich, but at the issues she raises.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 months later...