• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffle Oil Question

NoNiceTime

Hi

I have a bottle of truffle oil that I've had for at least a year and never refrigerated. It's as good now as it was last month. The manufacturer might have just been trying to cover there asses with the refrigeration rule on the label.

I like to broil/grill a well salted/peppered steak and drizzle the oil over it. Amazing!!!

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I'll echo what chrisamirault said -- great on mashed taters and risotto (a classic). I've also found it's great drizzled over grilled beef, lamb or game right before serving. Not bad drizzled over poached eggs either (eggs have a affinity for truffles).

Lastly, it's a winner drizzled into most mushroom-based dishes as the earthiness of both ingredients play off one another beautifully: For a nice and easy appetizer, try a crostini made with sauteed wild mushrooms, fontina and a drizzle of the truffle oil. Mmm Mmm Mmm Toasty!

I do find that truffle oil lose it's flavour/aroma after after a while once it is opened. It will probably keep better in the fridge. But on the other hand it is a bother to warm the whole bottle to room temp if you want to use it....

I do find that truffle oil lose it's flavour/aroma after after a while once it is opened. It will probably keep better in the fridge. But on the other hand it is a bother to warm the whole bottle to room temp if you want to use it....

I keep mine in the fridge because fats in the oil will go rancid much faster than at room temp. If you need to use right away just take the truffle oil and run under hot water under enough oil liqifies.