• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lambertville Restaurants

Deldino

We are heading to the Lambertville House fo a much needed get away. We have reservations at Anton's and Hamilton Grill per others recommendations. Are these restaurants you are familiar with and if so I would love some feedback. Also looking for any good lunch spots.

Thanks much,

Karen

I very much recommend 5 DE MAYO, on N. Main St, a few steps away from the quite good SIAM Thai restaurant. 5 DE MAYO however , serves the food of the owners' native Oacxa, and just about everything I tried was a home run, from the really good salsa (and homemade chips) to the stuffed red chile relleno. A great lunch stop.

BELL'S TAVERN a few blocks away on N. Union is also a very good bar (with very good beers on tap), as well as good burgers, soups and sandwiches.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I very much recommend 5 DE MAYO, on N. Main St, a few steps away from the quite good SIAM Thai restaurant.  5 DE MAYO however , serves the food of the owners' native Oacxa, and just about everything I tried was a home run, from the really good salsa (and homemade chips) to the stuffed red chile relleno. A great lunch stop.

BELL'S TAVERN a few blocks away on N. Union is also a very good bar (with very good beers on tap), as well as good burgers, soups and sandwiches.

Thanks much for the response - those sound perfect for what we are looking for.

Hubbie is a big fan of trying different beers on tap. We are also going to Deanna's Restaurant.

Thanks again,

Karen

OOOOoh forgot about Deanna's as well as Rick's right around the corner; both are very very good casual BYOB places with earthy Italian food.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

We are heading to the Lambertville House fo a much needed get away. We have reservations at Anton's and Hamilton Grill per others recommendations. Are these restaurants you are familiar with and if so I would love some feedback. Also looking for any good lunch spots.

Thanks much,

Karen

Manon's on Union Street has great mussels and country French. A very good soup au pistou. A little pricey, but perfect for a vacation. They may do lunch, that would be perfect. There's also a little shop called Fiddlehead's that you could buy some great bread and cheese at for a picnic-lunch. I also particularly like the atmosphere and sushi rolls at Ota-Ya.

Manon's (609) 397-2596

Fiddleheads

19 Bridge St

Lambertville, New Jersey 08530

Ota-Ya

21 Ferry St

Lambertville, NJ 08530

(609) 397-9228

Robin

“Cooking is an art, but you eat it too.”

Marcella Hazan

I really like No. 9 which is on Kline Court, #9 of course. Nice country French fare with pleasant service. We've been a few times and it's always very good. A really small space but nice vibe.

For the life of me I can't understand how Lambertville can have some many good places and just across the bridge in New Hope, very slim pickens.

For the life of me I can't understand how Lambertville can have some many good places and just across the bridge in New Hope, very slim pickens.

Perhaps it's because Lambertville has evolved only in the last decade or decade-and-a half or so; New Hope has been a touristy-trap place for over 40 years, and space seems to be at a bigger premium there as well.

Lambertville seems more upscale and less tacky than NH, and is probably a more inviting location for an up and coming restaurateur...

You make a good point Menton1. I've lived in Bucks County, about 20 minutes from New Hope for over 25 years now and must agree that NH is indeed a tourist trap of the worst kind. It's kind of cool to drive through in the summer with the top down but that's about it. As to restos there, I used to like Havana and Mothers back in the day but they've both slipped pretty much.

Deanna's at their current location on N Franklin are no longer BYO...they used to be BYO when they were in the south side of town. Manon and No 9 still are. Deanna's is head and shoulders above Ricks, in my opinion..and Inn of the Hawke is head and shoulders above Bell's for casual bar food and good beers on tap.

the bar at the Lamertville House has a wonderful espresso martini.

NH has the new Cabaret place with a "small plates" dining option. The former owner of Odette's is opening in the Best Western lounge up the hill...hopefully they transformed that plain vanilla space into something cool...we are going to the opening night pary on Friday the 29th so we'll see.

Well thanks for all the suggestions. We just got back.

We actually stayed at the Lambertville House, which was very nice.

We ended walking around Lambertville Friday and then went to the Lambertville Station for happy hour and then went to Anton's at the Swan Friday night, which was very good. My huband remarked that they slightly underseasoned salt-wise, but I actually prefer that so I can add my own if I want, you can never take away too much salt.

The service/atmosphere and the food were all very good. They had a lobster corn chowder which had great flavor but very little lobster. I had the chicken which was very tender and juicy and the reduction was very rich in natural chicken flavor, very good.

Saturday we walked around New Hope all day - I like going during this time of year because it is not as packed and touristy as the summer months. We did a civilized version of a pub crawl. After shopping we went to Havana's for a drink, they had the outside bar going with heat lamps, so that was cool. The lunch menu was way over priced so we continued on the a place across the street, I think it was called John&Peters where we had lunch, which was a grilled cheese and sweet potato fries for me and Hubby had a crab cake sandwich, which he said was really good very little breading and lots of crab, not what he expected when we walked n to the place -- My grilled cheese was great, just like mom would have made.

We continued on to Martine's by the river for a drink and then ended up back at Lambertville Station for one more drink before heading back for a much needed nap. Pub crawls lasted much longer for me 20 years ago.

Dinner Saturday was at Deanna's which was just so very good, My husband and I both said after we ate there that we just had a home made Italian meal at a friends house, the food was really homemade tasting - the best compliment I can give a restaurant is that the food did not taste like restaurant food, if you know what I mean.

All and all it was the perfect quick get away weekend.

Edited by Deldino (log)

The lunch menu was way over priced so we continued on the a place across the street, I think it was called John&Peters where we had lunch, which was a grilled cheese and sweet potato fries for me and Hubby had a crab cake sandwich, which he said was really good very little breading and lots of crab, not what he expected when we walked n to the place -- My grilled cheese was great, just like mom would have made

I used to spend lots of evenings at John and Peter's in my younger days. They aren't so much known for their food as their ability to find pretty good musical talent that most people have never heard of. Cool vibe to the place and great music.

The lunch menu was way over priced so we continued on the a place across the street, I think it was called John&Peters where we had lunch, which was a grilled cheese and sweet potato fries for me and Hubby had a crab cake sandwich, which he said was really good very little breading and lots of crab, not what he expected when we walked n to the place -- My grilled cheese was great, just like mom would have made

I used to spend lots of evenings at John and Peter's in my younger days. They aren't so much known for their food as their ability to find pretty good musical talent that most people have never heard of. Cool vibe to the place and great music.

That is the vibe we got also - so I stuck with the Grilled Cheese because I thought that was the best bet for me.. and it actually hit the spot for that moment.

The bartender said the specials are usually the best bet.

Edited by Deldino (log)