• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Hong Kong Noodles at 13 Mott St.

weinoo

Yesterday on Grub Street, eatingwitheddie is interviewed about Chinese New Year and also drops this gem regarding a new noodle shop at 13 Mott St.

It’s very good; it’s a genre of Cantonese shop that specializes in fish balls and cuttlefish balls, with thin egg noodles and a very long-cooked broth with a sophisticated favor. The place is very modern and clean, too. It’s in the old Sun Luck Kee spot, which was the same restaurant for 20 years and always successful; I think this one will be too. Joe Ng from Chinatown Brasserie says it has the best noodles in Chinatown.

It sounds really good; eddie knows his stuff and I can't wait to try it...anyone else been?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out this place for lunch today: it's solid, cheap, and satisfying, though not extraordinary. It is, however, cheap. I thought the broth was pretty ordinary, and the cantonese seafood soups were some of the weakest items we tried. What we liked: the oxtail curry noodles were very good, as were the pan-fried glutinous rice dumplings. Congee was also pretty decent.

---

al wang

We also tried this place over the weekend and liked it just fine. It's not hand pulled noodles, so no comparison with the few places doing that.

The pan fried dumplings we had were actually quite good - nice tasty, filling - excellent skins, crispy on the bottom and not at all greasy.

I tried the house-made fish ball soup - fish balls were good, if a bit bland, noodles were fine, and the soup was quite good to my taste - how the hell do they get it that yellow, I wonder? Available in two sizes - the small was under $5. The wontons in my wife's soup she rated below the wontons at NY Noodletown.

The pig trotter was excellent! For the 4 dishes, I think we spent about $25.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?