• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q about authentic Kebabs

Just wanted to know whether kebabs were traditionally eaten with bbq sauce? If not, what is the traditional sauce used? I've always thought (assumed anyway) that bbq sauce was an American creation, which always striked me as odd to be in kebabs (logic tells me, not taste ha).

Nevertheless, it's delicious (I ALWAYS have it with bbq sauce -and it's always beef for me too).

Or are kebabs a relatively new creation?

Edit: I just looked up on kebabs, and there are pictures of meats on skewers...I'm referring to the kebab rolled up in Lebanese bread. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's the specific name for this type?

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Kebabs are not eaten with a sauce. The meat (lamb) is marinated with various spices including crushed rep pepper, thyme and onion, garlic, yogurt, lemon before they're cooked.

Once they're cooked, they're eaten without a sauce. Usually, they're served with grilled hot pepper.

Just wanted to know whether kebabs were traditionally eaten with bbq sauce? If not, what is the traditional sauce used? I've always thought (assumed anyway) that bbq sauce was an American creation, which always striked me as odd to be in kebabs (logic tells me, not taste ha).

Nevertheless, it's delicious (I ALWAYS have it with bbq sauce -and it's always beef for me too).

Or are kebabs a relatively new creation?

Edit: I just looked up on kebabs, and there are pictures of meats on skewers...I'm referring to the kebab rolled up in Lebanese bread. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's the specific name for this type?

Well, let's get this out of the way first. NO bbq sauce. That is a pure American invention/corruption. It might taste ok, but I'd never imagine eating a Lebanese Kebab with bbq sauce.

Now, when you say Lebanese Kebabs are you talking about gorund meat ones or the ones with chunks of beef or lamb? I would suggest you check this quick course out first and see what I am talking about. The two variations in there are the Kefta and the Lahm Mashwi (grilled meat). Both are grilled on skewers and can be served in a plate or wrapped in Pita.

Another visual aid can be found in this post about a Kebab shop in Beirut

As for 'sauce' you would typically either use some hot sauce and/or tahini sauce. Other dips/salads are sometimes used too like hummus, baba ghanouj, tabouli,...

But not bbq sauce :smile:

hope this helps.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think she may mean what I know as Souvlaki...if so, in NY they come with BBQ sauce.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association