• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Ingredient Help

In April, I am going to be doing a cooking demonstration for our Slow Food members on Cambodian cooking. This past December, in addition to our visits to the Temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, my husband and I also took a cooking class that included a visit to the market of Siem Reap to gather ingredients for the meal that we prepared.

There are some unusual ingredients I will need, but I was fortunate enough to find most. At the Asian Market in East Hanover, I found beautiful water spinach, Asian pumpkin or squash, and most importantly banana blossoms. They didn't have fresh tumeric, but I think I saw it at Patel groceries in West Caldwell.

The one thing that I haven't found locally is fresh coconut milk. At the market in Siem Reap, we purchased it from a lady who had a little stand consisting of a press that squeezed out the fresh milk from shredded coconut. Right now I have 3 options: I can used canned, make it myself (sounds difficult) or go into Chinatown the day before the demo. Has anyone seen fresh coconut milk anywhere in Northern New Jersey? I do understand it is quite perishable and needs to be used within a day.

Thanks for your help.

Marie

NJDuchess