• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Humble Potato

Having recently returned to Vancouver from the UK I have to say that I am very disappointed by the limited varieties of potato avialable. There are of course the ubiquitous Yukon Gold and Russet varieties. The Ykon is ok, but not nearly floury enough for pomme puree. The Russet is horrible (and that's being kind).

Does anyone know where I can source other varieties (such as Maris Piper, King Edward, Ratte, ect)? There must be some place I can source the humble spud...

Helmer's are the best producers of potatoes we have and they usually have a fantastic variety (depending on the season), including the Ratte (which I bet is no longer available until next year).

They're from Pemberton and are often at the Winter (and Summer) farmer's markets here in town. They may be at the Winter market this coming weekend at the Wise Hall. Here is their contact e: helmer@direct.ca

Helmer's are the best producers of potatoes we have and they usually have a fantastic variety (depending on the season), including the Ratte (which I bet is no longer available until next year).

They're from Pemberton and are often at the Winter (and Summer) farmer's markets here in town. They may be at the Winter market this coming weekend at the Wise Hall. Here is their contact e: helmer@direct.ca

Great - many thanks.

Mark,

You'll never find the variety of potatoes that you are used say from the Borough Market or even Waitrose. We may like our meat and potatoes here but it's like we all drink Chardonnay and none of the other interesting varietals

:rolleyes:

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Many thanks for the reference. Went to the WM on Saturday (the market was,m shall we say, small). Picked up three different varieties of potatoes from Melmers (including Ratte). Absolutely fantastic. A real find. No more store bought spuds for me.