• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drying lasagna noodles flat

Luckylies

okay this is making me crazy. I've rolled the pasta and cut it int o lasagana lengths then placed it on top of a towel, with a towel on top...and it keeps cracking into a million pieces as it dries! without the towel it just curls up....

do people just not dry lasagna noodles for home use?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

okay this is making me crazy. I've rolled the pasta and cut it int o lasagana lengths then placed it on top of a towel, with a towel on top...and it keeps cracking into a million pieces as it dries! without the towel it just curls up....

do people just not dry lasagna noodles for home use?

I don't, anyway... I make the pasta while the bechamel or bolognese is simmering, and just use it fresh. Actually, it's never really occurred to me to dry fresh pasta at all... for me, if I wanted dried pasta, I would buy it. The Barilla no-boil sheets make perfectly respectable lasagna, in my opinion. Is this just something you wanted to try out as an experiment, or do you have a goal in mind (i.e. mass production of lasagna, etc.)? Is this an egg pasta?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

well, I like to do things in steps...to make it easier on myself, and my tiny kitchen. I like my pasta, so I just figured this would be a step I could do ahead of time. I'm startign to think I should just freeze the unrolled pasta in discs...and end the party there... :hmmm:

does this come in pork?

I'm of the "make-it-and-use-it-immediately" group.

I've made wide egg noodles and hung them to dry on my pasta rack, but the formula is different from that of lasagna and the dried noodles are tougher and stand up to handling better.

I do keep the freshly rolled lasagna sheets between two "huck" towels, slightly dampened and on a tray to keep them flexible.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How far in advance do you need to make these? I've had some luck placing each pasta sheet on a layer of plastic wrap, and wrapping each one individually, which has kept things flexible for at least a couple of hours. You might be able to do this the night before and store in a cool moist place (like between two pretty damp towels).

Lucky...I agree it's easier to take it in steps, sheets one day, sauces another day. I have even packed up the sheets to take home for the holidays. Here's my method, always works.

Make the lasagna sheets and let them dry a little but not to the point of cracking.

Stack them up with wax or parchment paper between each sheet, and sprinkle each sheet generously with semolina or cornmeal.

Wrap the whole package in some pastic wrap or a ggod large plastic bag.

Into the fridge until I need it.

Use within 48 hour as discoloration may set in after that.

Bonne chance.

Lucky...I agree it's easier to take it in steps, sheets one day, sauces another day.  I have even packed up the sheets to take home for the holidays.  Here's my method, always works.

Make the lasagna sheets and let them dry a little but not to the point of cracking. 

Stack them up with wax or parchment paper between each sheet, and sprinkle each sheet generously with semolina or cornmeal.

Wrap the whole package in some pastic wrap or a ggod large plastic bag. 

Into the fridge until I need it.

Use within 48 hour as discoloration may set in after that.

Bonne chance.

this has been what I've done in the past (it also works for the freezer) I just though it might be nice to have "storage lasagna noodles" that I had made

does this come in pork?