• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Cider donuts

eatrustic

For some reason I've never had the chance to try Cider Donuts but just the idea of reducing a cup of cider to almost a syrup and using this to make my donuts sounded really appealing. Alas, I've tried a couple of recipes but I find them to be somewhat oily and dense.

Is this the way they are or do I not have the right recipe (or perhaps technique)? They all seem to be buttermilk based.

Are they one of those seasonal treats that needs to be eaten on a beautiful Fall day at the apple orchard where they are made to be properly appreciated?

They, of course, fry up fairly dark due to the cider in them but as I said they are not what I imagined.

For those who have tasted them, what are they like texture and taste-wise?

The few apple cider doughnuts I've ever had were purchased at Greig Farms in Red Hook, NY. They were hot out of the fryer -- tender, yeasty, and with a slight apple-y undertone. I wished I could have consumed them by the truckload, but then, I wouldn't be here today. :biggrin:

I have never tried to make them, but thought about it several dozen times. Let me know if you find a good recipe. :wub:

I'm thinking that the Cider mills make them using a batter type of donut mix with a plunger. I've been using a soft dough that I cut out and butter instead of shortening (which I don't want to use). Perhaps this is why mine are heavier.....

I've never tried making them, but I can tell you when I was in college up in upstate NY (Clinton, NY, to be exact) there was a cider mill in town that had incredible apple cider donuts. They had two varieties: plain (sugared) and cinnamon-sugar. Mmm...how I long for those wiith a steaming cup of cider.

Last year I tried the cider donuts at Union Sq farmer's market and they weren't nearly as good as the ones near my school...so I'm still living with that craving, suffice it to say. Maybe I'll try my hand at a batch...

I've had them at Green Acres apple orchard in Rochester, NY. They were a tender cakey donut tossed in cinnamon & sugar, not dense. They were delicious, with a subtle apple flavor. I've never made them, though. Good luck finding the pefect recipe!

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

Thanks for all the descriptions of the real thing! At least I know it's worth working towards.

I'll dig out my antique, plunger style donut maker, figure out a recipe and see how close I can get. It looks like that's the style I need to try. (Of course I could always order a bag of cider donut mix from one of the Cider mills but that would be too easy.)

I too am thinking of batter-type rather than dough-type doughnuts, to get the lightness and sharp cider flavor.

My best experience of a cider doughnut was in a small ice cream shop in Tarrytown, NY -- they had a special that was a warm cider doughnut in the bottom of a paper cup, topped first with cinnamon ice cream then whipped cream and walnuts. Lots of sophisticated temperature and flavor juxtapositions and yet the kind of thing people who work with this stuff all day long would come up with when they are bored.

• 1 month later...
For some reason I've never had the chance to try Cider Donuts but just the idea of reducing a cup of cider to almost a syrup and using this to make my donuts sounded really appealing. Alas, I've tried a couple of recipes but I find them to be somewhat oily and dense.

Is this the way they are or do I not have the right recipe (or perhaps technique)? They all seem to be buttermilk based.

Are they one of those seasonal treats that needs to be eaten on a beautiful Fall day at the apple orchard where they are made to be properly appreciated?

They, of course, fry up fairly dark due to the cider in them but as I said they are not what I imagined.

For those who have tasted them, what are they like texture and taste-wise?

Taste and Texture - Apple Holler. They are a cake donut, but light. If I remember right, they were coated with a light cinnamon sugar. Just a hint of cinnamon, not overpowering. Delicious!