• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid Dispenser thingy?

Chef BV

I've seen a device before that can be filled with any liquid and it would allow you to control the amount of liquid being dispensed, say, hot soup into shot glasses. I want to buy one, but I don't even have a clue as to what it's called. It looks just like a china cap, but solid instead of perforated. There's also a lever on the handle that controls the opening and closing of the valve on the tip of the cone. If anyone could help me out with what this thing is and possibly websites to buy from, I'd be greatly thankful.

I thought it was commonly called a "dosing/dosage funnel", but searches turned up mostly scientific applications. Maybe a confectionery/automatic funnel is closer to what you have in mind.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

All of the major cookware catalogs/on-line sellers (i.e., Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, Chef's Catalog, A Cook's Wares.....) sell batter dispensers that work like you're describing. They're mostly sold for portioning out even amounts of pancake batters, but I don't see why they wouldn't work for other mixtures as well.

They probably wouldn't work for very thin liquids, since the opening is fairly large, but for thicker, more viscous things, they'd probably serve your purpose. You could probably even get them at a Linens 'N' Things or Bed Bath and Beyond.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"