• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Private Dining

rubyred

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the appropriate forum. Sorry if I have...

I've heard about people who host private dinners in their homes and I'm considering doing this myself. What I'm considering is a small operation, like a secret restaurant. I believe there was a lot of buzz about a kid doing really avant garde molecular tastings in his dorm room... Naturally, now that I'm interested, a quick google search yielded no pertinent results :(

If any of you can recall hearing about such an operation, can you please let me know about it, either here or by PM?

I appreciate anything our collective memories can turn up!

There are three eGullet operations similar to that of which you speak.

Daniel has Bite Club.

BryanZ has Z Kitchen (he's the "kid doing really avant garde molecular" stuff)

Henry and Lorna have Cache.

I know the first and last both have working websites, and Bryan's website is being reorganized right now. But they all have links in their sigs.

I should clarify--none of those are eGullet operations ie operations run by eGullet, but all involved are eGullet members. There are also topics devoted to the individual operations--reviews of Bite Club are in the NY Forum, reviews of Cache are in the PNW forum, and I can't remember where Z Kitchen (is North Carolina the south?).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

There are three eGullet operations similar to that of which you speak.

Daniel has Bite Club.

BryanZ has Z Kitchen (he's the "kid doing really avant garde molecular" stuff)

Henry and Lorna have Cache.

I know the first and last both have working websites, and Bryan's website is being reorganized right now.  But they all have links in their sigs.

Thanks so much, prasantrin! I really appreciate being given a great head start!

Cheers!

If you watch the No Reservations episode for Seattle (IIRC) Tony goes to one at someone's home.

I remember something about smuggling a French cheese in a diaper bag and a desert made with pop rocks. :wink:

Edited by Doodad (log)