• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite store-bought bbq sauce...

Morgan_Weber

* North Carolina – three major types corresponding to region: Eastern (vinegar with pepper flakes), Piedmont (tomato-based with vinegar), and Western (tomato-based and thicker)

Wow, what a list ! The Moppin' Sauce is different from their BBQ sauce, so maybe it doesn't fall into one of these, but I'd guess (if I had to) more the East-North Carolina? :huh:

Wow, what a list ! The Moppin' Sauce is different from their BBQ sauce, so maybe it doesn't fall into one of these, but I'd guess (if I had to) more the East-North Carolina?  :huh:

Tomato as an ingredient will burn and turn bitter when used in a mopping liquid. BBQ sauce is usually added at the very end of the cook so it won't have time to burn. A mop you use throughout the cooking session so you try to keep things out of it that will burn & turn bitter.

Batard~

The Moppin' sauce ingredients are:

water, distilled vinegar, soybean oil, salt, sugar, spices, xanthan gum, lemon juice, propylene glycol alginate, garlic

* Texas – tomato-based with hot chiles, cumin, less sweet

Aghhhh!!! :wacko:

Depending on what part of Texas you're in, the sauce isn't necessarily going to fall into the above guidelines.

Central Texas sauce IS usually tomato-based and less sweet with some vinegar--although the City Meat Market in Luling, TX (one of the most famous places in teh state) has a mustard base sauce that is delicious. It doesn't have to have cumin in it though. This traditional Central Texas-style is seen at the more notable places such as the Lockhart establishments, on up to Austin, Elgin and Taylor.

East Texas sauce, which is what we have a majority of in Houston, is from a more African American tradition. I love this sauce, even though it is sweeter. One great place in Houston that heralds the East-Texas style is called Thelma's. Her sauce is not only sweet, but also has some Jamaican/Island type spices--cinnamon, allspice, etc.

Down South, near the border, I would assume that a lot of chiles and cumin are used in the BBQ and BBQ sauce. It has been a long time since I've been down there, and I definitely am not as familiar with that style as I am the Central & East Texas styles.

Batard~

The Moppin' sauce ingredients are:

water, distilled vinegar, soybean oil, salt, sugar, spices, xanthan gum, lemon juice, propylene glycol alginate, garlic

Hi, thanks for the response. Actually, I had been looking at the regular BBQ sauce bottle.

Aghhhh!!! :wacko:

So, based on that taxonomy, where does the Stubbs Moppin' Sauce fit in? According to the ingredient list posted above it contains no tomato. It is unclear to me whether "spices" can encompass mustard: I have never seen the stuff, so can someone clarify? If it contains neither mustard nor tomato, then is it an Alabama "vinegar and pepper base"?

Having been to Stubb's in Austin (not the best bbq in the area by a long shot, but tasty nonetheless), and judging by the bottle of Stubb's sauce that I have, it is a good example of typical Central Texas-style sauce. I'm not sure if the Stubbs Moppin' sauce is the same thing in my refrigerator, but their "original" sauce is terrific, considering it is pre-bottled.

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/5/6

Any time I buy stuff like that, I try to turn a blind eye to the ingredient list. I really don't want to know how they got it to taste good while still allowing it to sit in one's refrigerator for an infinite amount of time before it goes bad... :wacko:

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

Another vote for Woodys Cook In Sauce, Apparently the stuff has quite a following and theres a real uproar on BBQ message boards about its unavailability.. The only online source I found was HERE

Although I also came across an ' Aproximate Recipe ' HERE

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman