• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"There IS no blue food!"

Fresser

The color blue has been associated with sadness... ie "I'm feeling blue" I don't know if I buy into that though.

I used to spend the summers in Pa. with my brother at my grandparents house. It was in the middle, but rural part of the state (Watsontown). We would drive to my Great Grandmothers house in Beavertown once a week. If we had behaved at an acceptable level the treat on the way home would be a stop at TastyFreeze. We made many of these stops and many more passes than I would have liked.

Now I usually got the same thing over and over.... a soft serve swirl of vanilla and chocolate. But, this one day they had a special. A blueberry soft serve, maybe an actual mixture of vanilla and blueberries. It was great !!! To this day I can remember how good the taste of that ice cream was. They never offered it again. For years as a kid I looked for it over and over never to find it.

To me as a kid, it was like tasting veal stock or demi for the first time.

-Jimmy

Typos are Copyrighted @

Blueberries are a dusky violet, blue corn chips are bluer, but still more purply to me.

I would love a shockingly blue natural food, like if they developed a new pepper or something.

I've had the Superman ice cream, and I recall loving it! Call me crazy, but those colors and the Superman aura make vanilla taste better. Could be that, or could be because I'm a hopeless comic book nerd. Or just a nerd...

This morning someone fed me a bit of a blue substance from the center of his Dunkin Donuts bagel, which I assume was supposed to be blueberry cream cheese. NAAYYYSTY.

howevah, I love that fake blue raspberry flavor. Slush Puppies, Otter Pops, that blue Rose's brand crap to drizzle in a margarita, yum. Jello and Kool Aid came in 'blue' for about five minutes maybe a decade + ago.

• 2 months later...

Maybe blue food is OK when it is sweet (blueberries/blackberries) but not so much savory? I made Thomas Keller's Cauliflower Gratin (made before, love it!) with purple cauliflower this weekend (for a giggle)...

:wacko: Tasted OK with your eyes closed but not when looking at all those little purple/blue nuggets of cauliflower essence........swimming in a pale lavender sauce.....

:sad: I threw most of it away; we couldn't eat it !

Maybe blue food is OK when it is sweet (blueberries/blackberries) but not so much savory? I made Thomas Keller's Cauliflower Gratin (made before, love it!) with purple cauliflower this weekend (for a giggle)...

:wacko: Tasted OK with your eyes closed but not when looking at all those little purple/blue nuggets of cauliflower essence........swimming in a pale lavender sauce.....

:sad: I threw most of it away; we couldn't eat it !

The mere mention of purple cauliflower triggers my gag reflex.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I mixed blue food coloring into the mashed potatoes when I was helping cook dinner and I was 8 or 9. No one else would eat them, especially with dark-brown gravy on them, so I got the whole bowl of mashed potatoes. I was instructed never to do that again.

Years and years later, my wife ordered a birthday cake for my daughter with blue icing accents. It was really blue, and we all discovered later that blue food dye is not necessarily changed in the digestive process.

And at the Star Trek Experience out in Las Vegas (I forget which hotel), they sell a Romulan Ale in souvenier(sp?) six-packs. Looks prettier than it tastes -- apparently, it's just a Costa Rican beer with dye added. I was really disappointed, I expected something more exotic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I think that cotton candy tastes like the color blue.

I also think thatcertain kinds of ice- not the perfect cubes, but the chips and flakes, taste like the color blue.

I've said this before, and no one understands me. Maybe here on eGullet someone will ken my meaning of the color of the taste?

Rebecca,

I know what you mean about the ice. I have tasted colors before, but I know I have a bit of synesthesia, where images have tastes and names have shapes. Ice chips do taste like pale blue, and cotton candy tastes like bright blue!

We want to eat happy food :biggrin:. Red, orange and even green (although less so, since blue is a color component) fall into that category. Who wants to eat something that is blue :sad:?

Of course, when food turns blue it is past the "best by" date. I hope I will only eat it once in a blue moon.

Edited by Mikels (log)