• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver 3 Day Visit

ALANBF

Cafe Medina for a Belgium breakfast

Ranjoli on South Granville for a tasty Indian lunch

Boneta or Cobre in Gastown for dinner

SALT tasting Bar on Blood Alley for late night cheese, meat, and wine

Just a few suggestions.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

An Izakaya crawl at Robson and Denman for dinner and drinks - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=...620c6cfbde1d81a

(Hapa, Kingyo, the Guus, Zakkushi for specifics)

Aurora or Boneta for Dinner

Tojo's, Shiro or Octopus' Garden for sushi/omakase (lunch?)

Breakfast? - A coffee is all I usually have...perhaps at Artigiano.

Some regional Chinese - a drive to Richmond or Sun Sui Wah perhaps

Seafood - Blue Water

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

I love Vancouver! OMG I yearn to go there (we do about 6 times a year actually) and are going next month

it is a great big sweet onion of a city that has layer after layer of fun things to do ..and honestly even though our dollar has declined I can still find great bargains when I go there

if you want to enjoy the place and not spend a fortune I say find a place centrally located on Robson or other ...(I prefer a suite with a kitchen and always stay at the very "lower to middle end"...but wonderful friendly Tropicana. ..on the 12 floor with a great view ...and full kitchen so I can cook the treasures I find during my visit!!) park your car and wander ..I park one time and take public transportation or just walk everywhere ..the city is so easy to get around if you are not driving!

you can walk down through the park ..from Robson (just ask at the hotel how to do it) and take the tiny ferry boats to Granville Island and have breakfast or lunch there...

you can also eat your way around the world with in walking distance of your hotel... Simba's is a bargain and West African food (I can not remember what street it is on) ...there is Maylasian food ...Korean food....Greek food..Chinese of course!!!....fish and chips..noodles galore ..all kinds of stuff ... wander and read the menus posted on the doors ..you can even buy Cuban coffee and I bring a tiny press to make it for mornings in the hotel with hot half and half ..what a way to start the day with a Cuban blast!!!

check out the dim sum thread here in this section ...I can not imagine a trip to Vancouver with out dim sum!

or sushi!

North Vancouver has lovely Persian food and markets to shop in and there is a place there that makes Lavash right in front of you ..so some feta olives herbs lavash and you are set for a wonderful lunch right out of your hands!

you can also walk to and take the commuter train on a complete loop around the city for a few bucks ( I found this out by accident after a few beers when I forgot to get off at my stop) and it is a wonderful way to see the city ..if you like to shop indoors you can get off the train at Metro town for a mall on steroids and have lunch there

bottom line my biggest hint is to use the system and try not to drive ..it saves time..frustration is much more fun because you get to see and do stuff instead of fighting for parking or getting stuck in city traffic...

I could go on but I will stop my tummy is growling with anticipation!

hope this helps have a wonderful time...

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss - you rock!

But you are right - just finding a place centrally located and walking around and exploring is alot of fun. Although it is possible of course to find bad asian food - the chances are pretty good also that you'll stumble over something you'll like.

Simba's is on denman and is ismaili so its actually east african not west

whoops I am sure I knew that ..and I am so sorry! my mistake ...very large geografical one that is for sure :shock: good food reasonable prices and Heidi (myself) is a dork!

thanks for the correction ...everything else I said is true however

and thanks Canuckelhead I am half Canadian and I love my father's homeland beyond reason!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

If the $30.00 3-course prix fixe lunch at Diva at the Met is still available, I would highly recommend it.

I checked the web site and don't see it listed, but it is worth a phone call to confirm, in my opinion and I'd go for lunch even without the prix fixe option.

Lunch menu

Cheers,

Anne