• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

scientists engineer no-cry onions

Ndy

Oh please let them taste good! I absolutely cannot even cut 1/2 an onionn with out crying, if I try to cut two..forget it, its painful!

Yes, I will suffer two for a good recipe. But I would be DEAD if I tried french onion soup!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I think I'll stick to my Walla Walla sweets (when in season, anyway), which have less sulfur and don't seem to cause much tearing for me.

When I need to chop a lot of onions at once, maybe I'll break out the contact lenses. Nearsightedness has its advantages.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Leave my onions the *#()^ ALONE. I don't want cloned meat. I don't want genetically engineered tomatoes that never spoil, but unfortunately also never RIPEN. I don't want corn that's had its DNA screwed with so its "super sweet".

I want food as it was meant to be. If I want sweet onions, I buy Vidalias, or Walla-Wallas or Mauis. All others, I expect to cry, because *THAT'S WHAT ONIONS DO*.

End of rant.

For the moment.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Leave my onions the *#()^ ALONE.  I don't want cloned meat.  I don't want genetically engineered tomatoes that never spoil, but unfortunately also never RIPEN.  I don't want corn that's had its DNA screwed with so its "super sweet".

I want food as it was meant to be.  If I want sweet onions, I buy Vidalias, or Walla-Wallas or Mauis.  All others, I expect to cry, because *THAT'S WHAT ONIONS DO*.

End of rant.

For the moment.

That's exactly what I was thinking here. The more we engineer our food to make it last longer and look better, we end up muting or outright destroying the flavor.

I might try these, but mostly I'd rather stick to sweet onions.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

I'm all for enhancing natural products if it's shown to be safe and useful . . . but no-cry onions? Why bother? Just stick the onions in the fridge for a while before chopping, or even better get someone else to do it. Maybe this one belongs with the "string-less celery" or "cube tomato".

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack