• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ploi Thai

ghostrider

New to me, anyway, on a stretch of Paterson Ave. that I don't drive down much. I noticed this place for the first time in December & got around to trying them for takeout just in the past couple of weeks. They're a welcome addition to the area.

Thus far I've tried the Pad Khing, which thrilled me no end - 17 years after I moved out of NYC, there is FINALLY a restaurant in my area that not only has fresh ginger root but uses enough of it! That has been one of the glaring deficiencies of this end of Bergen County since we got here.

Had the Pad Gra-Pow last night. Very tasty sauce, delicious sliced pork. A little disappointing that they use frozen string beans, but the dish was full of flavor and, requested "medium," delivered exactly the dose of heat I wanted.

The dining rooms are nicely decorated & well lit; they feel bright & colorful without being glaring. It looks like it'd be a fun, upbeat place to dine.

Their menu seems more in the traditional Thai vein than Rutherford's Spring Grill - the two places don't have a lot of overlap. They may not offer quite the same value or extensive menu as Wondee's - I haven't been up there in a couple of years - but for me their location is a big plus; and, as noted, there's lots of ginger root to be had. :biggrin:

Ploi Thai, 245 Paterson Ave. (on the corner of Boiling Springs Ave. 2 blks west of where Park Ave. dead-ends at Paterson), 201-939-6799

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

New to me, anyway, on a stretch of Paterson Ave. that I don't drive down much.  I noticed this place for the first time in December & got around to trying them for takeout just in the past couple of weeks.  They're a welcome addition to the area.

Thus far I've tried the Pad Khing, which thrilled me no end - 17 years after I moved out of NYC, there is FINALLY a restaurant in my area that not only has fresh ginger root but uses enough of it!  That has been one of the glaring deficiencies of this end of Bergen County since we got here.

Had the Pad Gra-Pow last night.  Very tasty sauce, delicious sliced pork.  A little disappointing that they use frozen string beans, but the dish was full of flavor and, requested "medium," delivered exactly the dose of heat I wanted.

The dining rooms are nicely decorated & well lit; they feel bright & colorful without being glaring.  It looks like it'd be a fun, upbeat place to dine.

Their menu seems more in the traditional Thai vein than Rutherford's Spring Grill - the two places don't have a lot of overlap.  They may not offer quite the same value or extensive menu as Wondee's - I haven't been up there in a couple of years - but for me their location is a big plus; and, as noted, there's lots of ginger root to be had.  :biggrin:

Ploi Thai, 245 Paterson Ave. (on the corner of Boiling Springs Ave. 2 blks west of where Park Ave. dead-ends at Paterson), 201-939-6799

That's great news. I'll have to give it a try. This isn't too far from where I live.