• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polish bakery on Oahu?

Tess

Aloha! I'll be on Oahu (Waikiki) on Fat Tuesday and would love to be able to get some Paczki. Anyone have an Eastern European bakery they like on Oahu?

If not, I will happily make do with Beard Papa or something, just thought it would be kind of cool to surprise my Polish husband.

Edited to add: I will have a car and I love to drive around the island, so any location is fine.

Edited by Tess (log)

I don't think Beard Papa would fit your bill. When my uncle was here in vain search of

paczki and we looked everywhere - he was most pleased to substitute Leonard's Malassadas. They are on Kapahulu not far from Waikiki, for this S. Side of Milwaukee

63 year old dyed in the wool Polish uncle he thought them perfect.

BTW, if you are here on a Tuesday beginning this week Hank's Haute Dogs will be serving alligator dogs in honor of Mardi Gras.

Do try Leonard's everyone loves them and you can even get them filled if you like with haupia, chocolate and maybe even guava. A hui hou! Have a great trip!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I don't think Beard Papa would fit your bill. When my uncle was here in vain search of

paczki and we looked everywhere - he was most pleased to substitute Leonard's Malassadas. They are on Kapahulu not far from Waikiki, for this S. Side of Milwaukee

63 year old dyed in the wool Polish uncle he thought them perfect.

BTW, if you are here on a Tuesday beginning this week Hank's Haute Dogs will be serving alligator dogs in honor of Mardi Gras.

You did the paczki hunt so I don't have to! Of course, Leonard's-- that's perfect! We'll be able to celebrate the day and do something Hawaiian at the same time. Love the idea of a guava one.

I showed my husband Hank's website and he said, "We're there!" It seems a little silly going all the way out there and doing something so Chicago, but there will be other meals. Maybe we should do hot dogs and paczki the same day.

Mahalo and a hui hou!

I'm probably going to Hank's myself this Tuesday, I am anxious to try the alligator.

The onion rings are amazing and so is the hibiscus lemonade.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha! Leonard's was absolutely perfect. We got a number of cream-filled malassadas. The haupia were our favorite. All this time, I've been going to Oahu and had no idea that Fat Tuesday was malassada day just like it's paczki day in Chicago. They had a sign up. I felt right at home.

Mahalo for the Hank's recommendation too. We didn't get there on Fat Tuesday alas, but we did make it on Friday and had some lobster hotdogs along with beef ones, fries and onion rings and a number of sauces. That place is fantastic.

It was so cool that both these places reminded me of home, but not too much. Mahalo again and a hui hou!

Edited by Tess (log)

I had brunch at Michel's 2/3 and saw the banner across Leonard's. Glad you enjoyed it!

A few years ago we went on this cool tour that started at 5 am with the fish auction at the old location and Leonard's was part of the itinerary. We got to go in the back and make malassadas and then fill them with whatever we wanted, it was so cool!

I did make it to Hank's and tried to alligator andouille, it was really good, I had a cup of the horseradish cream on the side which was prudent because had it been on the dog it would have pushed it over the top for me, I have to say his tomato/onion relish on the alligator was outstanding. I also had a chicken dog with the mango salsa which I'd not had in all these months and it was so refreshing and delicious. Oh, I didn't eat both whole dogs, I had a bite of each and took the rest home for my husband to have for dinner, I instead devoured the whole order of fries which is huge and so delicious! Glad you had a good time here! A hui hou!

Back in Chicago. :sad: The alligator dog sounds great. I love the way Hank's has the different sauces on the side. We ordered a few to dip fries and rings.

I have wondered about food tours on Oahu. Getting an insider's experience of a local place like Leonard's would be so cool. I am usually in Hawaii with a group of friends who have zero interest in food and have to sneak off to sample the local cuisine with at best one or two people in tow. Not as many people to order/try different stuff.

Maholo again for your great suggestions-- a hui hou!