• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marukai Market now open in San Diego

mizducky

Marukai Market, the Japanese chain of membership grocery stores with scattered outposts in the US, just officially opened its latest store in San Diego. The other two stores in the little complex at the corner of Balboa Ave. and Mercury St., Marukai Living (a housewares store) and Daiso (a so-called "100-yen shop," which in the US sells most items for $1.50) had been open for some weeks now, and the Market part had been showing some pre-opening activity. But then I got the word from my buddy mmm-yoso that they were definitely open for customers, so I decided to buzz on over.

Alas, like a space bunny, I forgot my camera--but I urge you to follow the above link because Kirk did remember his, and did his usual thorough job of documenting the finds. Myself, I picked up just a few items for my dinner--including some very meaty, and very fresh, fish trimmings that made for an excellent soup. But I also noted Marukai's already-impressive fresh meat and fish offerings (incredibly beautifully-marbled meats all sliced and ready for the grilling/simmering/etc technique of your choice; some gorgeous thick super-marbled ribeye steaks at $5.99/lb; bounteous amounts of sushi/sashimi-grade fish in blocks or pre-sliced) and small but attractive fresh produce department. They had some very nice oden sets that I'll probably be checking out soon.

Marukai's San Diego location is just a few blocks away from the two already-established Japanese grocery chain players in town, Mitsuwa and Nijiya. It'll be interesting to see how they cope with this newcomer, especially since my admittedly spotty survey suggests that Marukai is underpricing them.

Oh yeah--when Marukai San Diego eventually gets its membership thing rolling, it'll be $10/year, or $1 for a one-shot guest membership. But right now, the cheerful young lady who greeted me said, they're not bothering with memberships, so if you're nearby you should come check it out! (And don't forget your camera the way I did.)

More about Marukai here.

I drove by yesterday and they were doing land office business. Parking is going to be tough since the lot is dinky. Can hardly wait to check this out, especially the fish counter. It'll be closer than either Point Loma Seafood or Blue Water.

You SDians are lucky to get a Marukai -- I absolutely rely on the Costa Mesa store up here. We also have a big Mitsuwa, which is not bad at all, but Marukai is just more of a cook's store. Excellent meat, and fish, (both for cooking and for eating raw), and well-chosen well-priced veg. Be sure to become a member, in order to get their cheery monthly flyer in the mail.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I was just at the Gardena store today to pick up miso and a few other items. If I'm not mistaken I think the $1 membership is good for a month. I just get the $10 one.

The stores are all lined up for a nice bit shopping on Artesia Blvd with lots of little interesting shops in between. You can start at Marukai, Drive to the next block and hit Marukai 98, and 99 Ranch then drive right on to the freeway back home.

Edited by Susie Q (log)