• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Showpiece

paynes1

Chocolate designs has some very solid basic techniques which are easy to get into if you haven't done much showpiece work before.

Kerry - I'd love to see how you go with the polished granite. I've seen it before and it looks great when it's done

Can you give me a pointer to "Chocolate Designs"? I've done a quick search and come up with a number of references, but mostly to a shop in Houston, TX.

Thanks.

I think I got my copy from Qzina in Toronto - might be worth giving them a call first. Is it on Amazon?

Here is a copy at Chipsbooks.

polished granite?

i assume that is chocolate? any explanation would be great!! :smile:

There is a demo online somewhere - can't find it right now at work, but I think I have it saved at home - I'll check later.

Essentially you are breaking up chocolate into chunks, sieving to get similar sized chunks and gluing them together with coloured cocoa butter, then heating the sides to make it shine.

Chocolate designs has some very solid basic techniques which are easy to get into if you haven't done much showpiece work before.

Kerry - I'd love to see how you go with the polished granite. I've seen it before and it looks great when it's done

Can you give me a pointer to "Chocolate Designs"? I've done a quick search and come up with a number of references, but mostly to a shop in Houston, TX.

Thanks.

I think I got my copy from Qzina in Toronto - might be worth giving them a call first. Is it on Amazon?

Here is a copy at Chipsbooks.

Nope, not on Amazon.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

polished granite?

Here you go!

I saw that a couple of months back and loved the look. I think it would be great to make little slabs of this to display chocolate on top of...the whole thing chocolate!! So neat.

Of course we expect a demo from you Kerry :wink:

edited to add: of course with colored cocoa butters and white chocolate, you could get all sorts of cool effects.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

polished granite?

Here you go!

I saw that a couple of months back and loved the look. I think it would be great to make little slabs of this to display chocolate on top of...the whole thing chocolate!! So neat.

Of course we expect a demo from you Kerry :wink:

edited to add: of course with colored cocoa butters and white chocolate, you could get all sorts of cool effects.

Just looking for a round tuit!

Amazon.ca says that "Stephane Leroux Matiere Chocolat" has not yet been released, and Amazon.com says it is out of print. What gives?

Would you buy this over "Chocolate Designs" or are both a must have?

Darn, now I wish that I did buy it when we were in Buffalo...

Amazon.ca says that "Stephane Leroux Matiere Chocolat" has not yet been released, and Amazon.com says it is out of print.  What gives?

Chef Rubber has the books. It is a 2 book set. A new book comes out this fall. I do have another source but they only have 1 set in stock and until I have the books in my grubby little chocolate hands I am not telling!! The book set is $150 thru my secret source. I will reveal soon!!

Thanks Kerry-very nice!! My french is super rusty, but basically you "chop" into these little chunks, sieve them to use onlythe smaller pieces (?), melt cocoa butter with brick color and brown color(?) and with the spatula mix into the chunks, pour into a cube or shape, cool, unmold, and then place each side on a heated marble spot (?) and smooth out with the triangular spatula, and cool. It is lovely!!

Thank you!!!

Thanks Kerry-very nice!! My french is super rusty, but basically you "chop" into these little chunks, sieve them to use onlythe smaller pieces (?), melt cocoa butter with brick color and brown color(?) and with the spatula mix into the chunks, pour into a cube or shape, cool, unmold, and then place each side on a heated marble spot (?) and smooth out with the triangular spatula, and cool. It is lovely!!

Thank you!!!

The instructions (in English) read to select the size of gravel that you prefer - he suggests about 7 to 8 mm. The chopping happens with a robocoupe. The cocoa butter is a mixture of brown and red with the brown made from 1 part black cocoa butter (made from 4 parts blue, 2 parts red and 1 part yellow colour) and and 2 parts cocoa butter.

now why did I only find french?! And here I am once again wincing at what my teachers would think about me forgetting my lessons! Would a food processor work? I must try this. A bar of chocolate granite could be really nice.

Thanks

You only found french cause it's in french - I've got the book!

I think a heavy duty food processor should work.

I've been asked by a friend to help create a chocolate centerpiece/showpiece/sculpture for his parents 50th wedding anniversary.  The good news is this is nearly a year away so I have time to learn something about the process.

Does anyone have any advice, references, books or other tips & techniques to help me learn how to make a modest, but attractive piece?

Yup, the book Matiere Chocolate written by Stephane Leroux is a good place to start. I saw it available a few days ago at an american vendor, but not able to find it right now. I plan to work my way through the book. It's got all the techniques in it. You can go as fancy or simple as you like.

The first thing I intend to make is a chunk of polished granite.

The 2 book set by Stephane Leroux can be purchased from puratos.ca

the cost is $150 Canadian which is a good purchase for Canadians and Americans. I ordered the last copy and they will have to order more in which will be about 4-6 weeks. Others in the forum have said it is a good set.

Borders UK

sells for 106$US  but this is in the UK. Worth checking out!

editted to add: the http:// link above isn't working for some reason! Sorry

Try this Looks pretty dear at 106.25 british pounds.

Borders UK

sells for 106$US  but this is in the UK. Worth checking out!

editted to add: the http:// link above isn't working for some reason! Sorry

Try this Looks pretty dear at 106.25 british pounds.

That is about $196 CAD. Puratos is international. Check the European sites.

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

• 1 month later...

gallery_34671_3115_14887.jpg

Finally finished and sort of squared up the granite piece. I spent so much time trying to figure out what to mold it in - used a bottle that sterile distilled water comes in at work - but of course it isn't totally square.

It occurred to me the other day that the perfect vessel for molding and one you can tear off afterwards would be the bottom of a 1 litre milk carton. Nice and square.