• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pricing Wedding Cakes

greenbean

Often a cake is priced on the length of time to complete. A novice cannot charge as much as an accomplished caker but still needs to make something.

I try to avoid nickel and diming the client so I tend to up the per serving price rather than charge for myriad individual components. If there was a gum paste orchid cascade, yes they pay extra for that, toppers yes, delivery always, tax, extra artwork, yes upcharge for that.

If they are paying for the topper and they want a coupla those same flowers on the cake, naw no upcharge. If I'm using chocolate clay to make pearl borders no because the cake will be bordered anyway. It's hard to be more specific because each cake gets individual attention when it's conceived so you price each one different.

Modeling--I mean again some decor is normal but it just depends on what it is.

So to me the most important thing is to keep pace with the prevailing prices in your neighborhood. Match them or exceed them but never undercut the competition on the basics. But when you get into the artsy fartsy arena is when the prices can be more spontaneous and you need expertise to get it right. Actually after you screw yourself enough you start to catch on.

Charge too much they won't buy. Charge too little you'll hate yourself.

You need to know how long something will take to make by looking at it.

So gum paste flowers are often charged by the stem same as a florist would charge.

Dude, pricing is an art form in itself.

I make it easy on my customers and tell them that my price per slice is roughly $5.50 for a simple cake and offer them three different sizes as well as sheet cakes if the wedding is huge. So a small serves up to 50, medium 50-100, and large 100-150. That way, I avoid having to change up my pan sizes with every new cake and can keep my ingredient costs stable. I steer people away from fancy decorations as it's not where I want to spend my time or energy. Most of my customers like the pricing and find it easy to work it into their budget. Also, this means if a few less people come to the party, I don't have to re-price on the cake.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe