• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kensington Place

A terribly disappointing meal at KP earlier this week, they seem to be suffering from Rowley leaving... The menu at lunch is now a set menu for around £20 (cant remember the exact price sorry) with a choice of 5 starters, 5 mains and 3 desserts with the rest of the menu comprised of "daily offerings" essentially 3 starters, oysters 2 ways and a couple of mains/desserts. A midweek lunch saw no more than 30 covers (quite at odds with Le cafe Anglais dining figures one would imagine) and a semi cold, undercooked fish pie and chocolate creme which i could still taste the powdered chocolate in. All in all incrediably disappointing, wish i'd braved the weather to make it that little bit further to Le Cafe Anglais...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Friends went on Wednesday lunchtime.

A: can I have a green vegetable as a side?

Ken Place: we've only got kale

A: what, no spinach, or green beans, or anything else?

KP: no

A: don't fancy kale so I'll pass thanks

Mains arrive. Emily has white fish with... broccoli.

A (to waiter): what's that?

KP: broccoli

A: could I please have some as a green vegetable side, you know, the green veg side that I specifically asked if you could provide?

KP: I'll check

[runs off to kitchen + returns]

KP: sorry, no.

Way to win customers!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

A terribly disappointing meal at KP earlier this week, they seem to be suffering from Rowley leaving...

I think Rowley left more than a year ago, so the problem is probably deeper rooted than that.

As I remember it, owner Chris Bodker lost all his money on West, the place next to The Ivy that's now McRobuchon. The bank forced him to sell KP, along with Launceston Place and The Avenue, to D&D London (the rebranded Conran Restaurants).

I mention this only because it will go some way to explain your experience. Sadly, the old Place is now little more than Mezzo recreated in W11. In short: KP's nuts.

ETA: The Times did a backgrounder on the sale back in June.

Edited by naebody (log)

As I remember it, owner Chris Bodker lost all his money on West, the place next to The Ivy that's now McRobuchon. The bank forced him to sell KP, along with Launceston Place and The Avenue, to D&D London (the rebranded Conran Restaurants).

The Times did a backgrounder on the sale back in June.

i was just thinking, he tried to float that not that long ago, and then i read the article :biggrin:

you don't win friends with salad