• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abalone

Prawncrackers

Any assistance out there from anyone who has actually cooked abalone themselves, for tonight's attempt?

Never cooked the stuff. But there was a guy down the shore with a substantial red abalone aquaculture operation. Not sure if he's still in business but I used to see him at the market and I enjoyed a few samples. His advice was to cut as thin as possible across the muscle and to cook it at as little as possible, raw being the best.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I have cooked abalone professionally.

Good solid saute pan, coating the bottom with oil, get it smoking hot (literally), 7-9 seconds on each side while pressing down firmly but not crushing it.

• 2 years later...

I have been diving for this snail almost all my life (think I was 12 the first time) and have cooked it every way I can think of (fried of course, grilled, BBQ whole, ground and made in to chowder. stir fried and baked and I could probably think of many more ways. I have friends coming over and that's what they asked for. I was thinking about meat balls with a lemon white sauce over pasta or stir fry it up. Just bored with the old ways. This is a red ab, old and some of it's vent holes are scared . What do ya think.

The lower photos are of a abalone mount. This is a rare find, all most always the shells are scared from worms and other critters. Shell collectors would give their right .... for a shell like this.  And now you know why the are called red abalone.

overIMG_3320.JPGIMG_3319.JPGIMG_3325.JPGIMG_3321.JPG

Welcome to EGullet, Willie, and I totally envy you for the abalone.

Would you consider an Asian dish? My parents cooked a fancy noodle soup with abalone for special days. They poached pork and chicken, bok choy, water chestnuts, shittake mushrooms, and scallions--plus abalone--in a mild, seasoned chicken broth. The meat, abalone, and vegs were all thinly sliced or cut up for fast, easy cooking. They cooked thin egg noodles, or Asian-style vermicelli, separately. For the final step, the hot cooked noodles were drained and added to the soup. Serve right away, with soy sauce and white pepper on the side if people want more seasoning. My parents wouldn't eat it, but I'd put some chili pepper seasoning out there for people, too.

• Like 1

you are very lucky to get fresh abalone.

i grew up in CA and one restaurant near Stinson Beach made it very simply:

you pounded the muscle w the edge of one of those very thick restaurant plates until tender

coated w fresh fine bread crumbs and pan saute until golden

Im sure youve done that

I think its a fine way to not obscure abalone's fine delicate flavor.

it tastes 'Of the Sea Plus'

again, lucky you.

Thanks Shelby and rotuts:

OK Shelby will do, rotuts you have a good point and that is the standard for cooking ab. I have cooked it so many time in my life span I was just throwing it out there to this great group of creative and talented people, more done the lines of "what would you do" I guess in a way your saying don't mess with it, k.i.s.s. it so you can taste it.

rotuts if your ever come back to norcal and get a chance stop by a little winery right on the water, that is my diving hole. It took me eight years to get back in the water there after losing a diving friend to a great white about 200 hundred yards south of there. (I was not there when it happened)

www.pacificstarwinery.com

you are double lucky.

I could eat Abalone, as cooked in that Stinson restaurant, every other day ( not wanting to be a Pig about it ) with no

complaints ever.

Id add a dry White wine from your winery  ( no oak, thank you very much .... very dry ) Ice Cold

( Ive found it warm up In Your Mouth  as long as you are not a gulper )

think a nice flinty Chablis.

your pretty much set.  maybe a slight squeeze of Meyer Lemon, which you just picked from your tree ...

An't my winery, just a good friend's. Really it is our winery, rotuts you can go there and enjoy the place the same way I do. Sally will give you a warm welcome and ask you to stay a while and enjoy yourself. Take a picnic and hang out for the day. Anyone from this community would be welcome there.

Early fall is the best time to visit.

I have had a hell of a time trying to get citrus to grow here. Just a little to cold in the winter and to hot in the summer.