• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Classes (houston)?

Dnguyen

Wow just joined and it's my first post! :-p

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew any cooking classes in Houston. Being a beginner I just want to take like cooking basics or something like that. Also how much would this type of stuff be?

Google didn't help me much but maybe i was typing in the wrong stuff. Thanks in advance!

Wow just joined and it's my first post! :-p

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew any cooking classes in Houston. Being a beginner I just want to take like cooking basics or something like that. Also how much would this type of stuff be?

Google didn't help me much but maybe i was typing in the wrong stuff.  Thanks in advance!

Having a fiancee that's been looking for the same thing, the only thing we've found that just teaches beginners the basics and regular ol cooking 101 is the Central Market cooking classes and Sur La Table. Watch out though, because with the sur la table classes that bring in professional chefs, they don't let you do much of the cooking. If you go with like the CM or SLT staff classes, I've been told they do a decent job. From what I know, both art institute and LeNotre don't do just regular beginning cooking classes.

good luck hunting, report back if you find anything.

I've been to a number of classes at Central Market. The class schedule clearly indicates whether it's a 'hands on' class or not. I've only been to the 'observation' ones, and they are a lot of fun. I attended one one fresh cheesemaking just last Saturday. They bring in pro chefs, but also do a fair number of classes with their in house staff. I didn't realize Sur La Table gave classes (I live in Beaumont), but I see I'll have to get on their mailing list!!

Stop Family Violence

This school has been advertising on TV for a while: http://www.culinaryinstitute.edu/programchefsclub.asp

ETA: Option 2, Leisure Learning Unlimited is also an option: http://llu.com/sdc/groups.html?sgroup=10

I've been meaning to take a class on mig welding but I have yet to have any "leisure" time.

Edited by JimH (log)

One of the best cooking class deals in town was at the Fiesta on I-10. On Thursday nights they had excellent classes for only $25. Sadly, that store has closed, to my knowledge Fiesta is not going to run a cooking school at another location.

FYI: I teach cooking classes in my home to small groups of 4-6 people and try the keep the prices very reasonable, as I'm more interested in sharing my passion for cooking. I teach such classes as: Introduction to Thai Cooking, Tex-Mex 101, a Desserts Class, Moroccan, Greek, etc. My favorite one to teach is the Thai intro, as we do a soup, a noodle dish, then take a field trip to a local Thai grocery store in my neighborhood, then come back to do a curry.

Regrettably, I've got a broken wrist that is recovering, so I've had to postpone the classes I had planned for February, but if you're interested for something in the near future, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)

Wow thanks for the replies everyone. Im actually intrigued by the Leisure Learning Unlimited as they have a cooking basics class. Has anyone ever tried their courses?

Six classes for $185 that are about 3hrs each not bad pretty much $30ish dollars a class and most of it is hands on or so it says.

Then if and after i take these classes and get somewhat comfortable with cooking more than "college dinners" i'll take you up on that offer Jay :-p