• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flour - bulk storage

maui420

The important thing was getting something airtight.

That's a good point.

You could just go with one large container (say, enough to hold a month's worth of bread flour), then vacuum pack the rest using those bags andiesenji mentions, or splurging on a Tilia (where you not only need money, but the space to store it). I think you can get those vacuum bags for blankets, so those may be big enough to store your remaining flour. Then just replenish your container as needed. It's more of a hassle, but there will be less chance of wastage because of little insects and such.

And if you can spare some space in your freezer, freeze your flour in batches before packing them away. I try to do that (easier done during winter than during summer, though) to help with the bugs.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Insects, oh yes, in a house this old, they are a fact of life. So is fumigation...another good reason to have food in ultra-airtight containers, which all get taped shut and put in big bags before fumigation starts.

I'm thinking that despite the advantages, I had better not be too ambitious, so I may make one attempt with 10kg/22 lbs split into two containers, and see how things go.

Thanks for information on container sizes and volumes - I have converted them all into metric, and most seem to match up. However, 1 cup of flour weighs not much more than half a cup of water - it takes up almost twice as much volume. Sugar, on the other hand, is almost exactly equivalent to water in weight!

• 3 weeks later...

These Vittles Vaults hold 40 or 60 lbs??? And stackable? Wow, would my floor hold up?

I really like the design though, and will see if I can't get hold of that or something similar.

My containers now are all stacked up...have to move x number of 15-lb or more containers to get to the one on the bottom...always the one on the bottom...

These Vittles Vaults hold 40 or 60 lbs??? And stackable? Wow, would my floor hold up?...

I hope so. Three 60 lb units stacked is the same as one 180 lb person. Four is the same as a 110 lb person and a 130 lb person standing close together, perhaps hugging.