• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo Mart in sydney

Kuma

Hi all,

I'm Baaaaaaaaack !

While planning my Japan 2009 trip, I found out about Tokyo Mart in Northbridge (a suburb of Sydney). I went there and WOW ! It's a combination of a Kombini, a Supaa, and a ¥100 shop. It has everything I need and more !

Here's a pic of my first booty...

gallery_44184_5664_19647.jpg

cheers,

Rob.

PS: I have to get Panko next for those Korokke...

PPS: We had Okonomiyaki last night and boy do I love it !

Wah look great! How big is the store? I really have to make trip to Sydney. Does it sell fish sausage

We have Fujimart in Melbourne. It is of decent size but I cant find fish sausage :(. I really want to try it after reading Hiroyuki post about the sausage

Wah look great! How big is the store? I really have to make trip to Sydney. Does it sell fish sausage

We have Fujimart in Melbourne. It is of decent size but I cant find fish sausage :(. I really want to try it after reading Hiroyuki post about the sausage

I believe fujimart might be part of the same company/chain as their name and phone number also appear on the "green" (actually, it's blue) shopping bag I bought recently.

I didn't check for fish sausage, but the frozen goods section runs nearly 3/4 of the way along ther whole shop !!

TOKYO MART HERE I COME! How's the price?

I don't know how they do it, but most prices are similar to the (from memory) normal prices in Japan !

Certainly, this is meant to be a regular supermarket - nothing's overpriced. I'm guessing a lot of Japanese ex-pats do their regular weekly shopping here. It's not as expensive as, say, 5-star gourmet in Crows nest.

Edited to add: The green frozen prawns are the cheapest I've seen anywhere !

Edited by Kuma (log)