• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruth R's "Modern Library Food" Book Series

Siouxsie

I vaguely remember seeing books from this series at Borders when they first came out in about 2001, but I was a poor student then and new books were mostly out of reach, even trade paperbacks. I recently was browsing my local used book store and found two:

Idwal Jones, "High Bonnet: A Novel of Epicurean Adventures" (1945)

Wanda Frolov, "Katish: Our Russian Cook" (1947)

Here's the series link:

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/seriesfood.html

These look like fun and interesting foodie books with a vintage bent. MFK Fisher quotes on the front cover (neat design, too) and intros by Marion Cunningham (Katish) and Anthony Bourdain (High Bonnet--this was about when Tony B was beginning to become a "name"--neat!)

Wondering if anyone else has read any of the others?

Siouxsie

Somewhere I have Clémentine in the Kitchen (my food books need a post Christmas reorganization :blink: ) and Perfection Salad is on my wishlist. Clémentine is wonderful fun to read. Its a great series, I think and I'd love to hear your opinion after you've had time to read yours! Congrats on your 'finds' - gotta love used book stores. I was so sad when our local one closed.

Kim

Clementine in the Kitchen is a wonderful book. It's funny and touching, and the recipes look good although I'm not sure I've tried many of them. The book gave me pause to reflect just how much the availability of food in this country has changed in the past, oh, 60 years - and just how much our culinary horizons have broadened in that time.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Somewhere I have Clémentine in the Kitchen (my food books need a post Christmas reorganization  :blink: ) and Perfection Salad is on my wishlist.  Clémentine is wonderful fun to read.  Its a great series, I think and I'd love to hear your opinion after you've had time to read yours!  Congrats on your 'finds' - gotta love used book stores.  I was so sad when our local one closed.

Kim

Kim, I think we all know about AbeBooks, but have you found http://www.thriftbooks.com http://www.thriftbooks.com' target='_blank'>? I received a book from them that I had ordered thru Amazon (used, natch). I checked it out and sent my son a wish list a mile long! That'll keep me in birthday, Mothers' Day and Christmas presents for a while, and they're CHEAP, too! :shock::laugh:

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I've read all of them but "Katish." This is just a terrific series. I highly recommend,"Cooking with de Pomiane." but each is an idiosyncratic gem.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com