• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry cloths

eatrustic

I've recently been making fairly sticky pastry dough and the recipe suggests a pastry cloth. What exactly is this?

I'm familiar with bakers linen which is natural raw linen fabric that is fairly stiff and resists dough sticking and wonder if it is the same thing? I tried a couple of the local kitchen stores but all they had was rolling pin covers.

I've recently been making fairly sticky pastry dough and the recipe suggests a pastry cloth. What exactly is this?

I'm familiar with bakers linen which is natural raw linen fabric that is fairly stiff and resists dough sticking and wonder if it is the same thing? I tried a couple of the local kitchen stores but all they had was rolling pin covers.

My rolling pin came with the cover and cloth. I keep it rolled around the pin and lightly floured like my Grandmother taught my Mom.

It is just a heavy cloth (linen?) fabric. Looks unbleached so I think you already know what you are talking about.

I just went to the fabric store and bought a length of canvas and hemmed it.  Cheap and works well.  (You probably don't really need to hem it; that's just me  :biggrin: )

Ok, thanks for the info. This does sound like French linen which is a sort of dark grey natural fiber and is usually very expensive in fabric stores (not to be confused with canvas which is heavier and may work as well). I've bought it in the past at artist's supply stores (untreated of course).

Yes, it does work really well, for bread doughs at least.

It should be hemmed as it will unravel as time goes by, washing it is tricky as it tends to shrink a lot.

If i'm using it on a regular basis I usually just shake it out really well and make very sure it hangs to completely dry to avoid mildew.

Get the real stuff and you will have fewer problems in the long run.

The baker's linen works better than canvas

between uses, roll it up and stick it in the freezer. Any dough will pop off when you unroll it and brush it with a stiff brush before the next use.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett