• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When I dip you dip we dip

I was at a cocktail party the other night. Not at somebody's house; at a high-end food-service operation. I was having a chat with someone I'd characterize as a "food celebrity" and a server came around with a tray of hors d'oeuvres. Several of this item were laid out on one side of the tray, and on the other side of the tray was a bowl of dipping sauce. I took one, dipped it, ate it. This celebrity took one, dipped it, bit off half of it, then dipped it again. I didn't worry that it was going to lead to a public health crisis, but I was pretty surprised at the inconsiderateness of the maneuver. I was also surprised, pleasantly this time, that as soon as the server was out of the celebrity's sight line he took the whole tray of hors d'oeuvres back into the kitchen and replaced the dipping sauce with a new bowl.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What about the switch-hitter double-dip? One end of egg roll or whatever goes in the dip first, then the reverse end goes in for the second scoop? I wouldn't do that in a semi-public gathering myself (I prefer the dip on a plate technique), but that's what my - heathy - extended family does at holidays. Then we don't have to wash snack plates!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

• 2 weeks later...
What about the switch-hitter double-dip?  One end of egg roll or whatever goes in the dip first, then the reverse end goes in for the second scoop?

I wouldn't count that as a technical "double dip". No foul if you dip one end of the celery in the dip, take the bite from one end, and then dip the other end. To me, those are clean dips, no penalty.

But anyone who takes a bite and places the bitten end back into the dip is a heathen. Unless it is me and my wife, but considering all the other things we share I am sure we have very similar bacterial colonies. I would never put out chips and dip at an event where there are children, I have seen kids triple dip right in front of their parents. Isn't that cute? To me that seems pretty ignorant and inconsiderate on the parents part, the kids only do what they see at home.

I also agree with Susie Q, that if friends decide to share a little of their meal on a fork with me or ask for a taste of my wine that's fine with me, and I do it with friends also. But to me that is a completely different situation, at least I have a choice. I have eaten family style in China, but that is a lot less gross than double dipping. People are careful to eat what they touch with their chopsticks and do not pick around a dish. if a dish needs stirring up, you use a clean set of chopsticks or the spoon. And they are also very careful not to suck on their chopsticks or get saliva on them when placing the food in their mouth.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Double dipping is rude, but I think the switch hit double dip is legit. I find the dipping, double or otherwise, it situational. I have cute little cocktail plates I put out so guests can scoop dips onto a plate and ingest their own germs.

But I think we should think about what's being dipped. A Crispy Thing should have some strength and structure, to support a full load of dip. Think Wavy Lays.

Or the Dipped Thing should be small enough to be dipped once only -- no crudites longer than an inch or rounder than a cherry tomato.

If you don't monitor your toddler's dipping habits, forget about monitoring your teenager's driving habits.

Then there's the Holy Dip into the shared chalice at Communion. I'm a nonbeliever now, but I was a good Episcopalian girl once upon a time. The priest would use a linen cloth between sips -- nothing antibacterial, trust me --and I don't remember the parishioners of St. James, Trois-Rivieres, getting sicker than any other portion of the population. Maybe we should recite the Nicene Creed over the California Dip?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...