• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High-capacity restaurants (150 people)?

MJP

So I proposed and she said yes, and now we're in the planning phase. Since I'm an addictive planner, this is just feeding something that shouldn't be fed, but I digress. :-D

We want to avoid doing a cookiecutter (and potentially very high-budget) catering hall wedding. We'll try for the reception elsewhere and we want to have the reception at a nice restaurant. Since we're very informal people, we don't want to do dinner and dancing, just a nice get-together for everyone.

A cocktail-style dinner would be great, but we don't mind a sit-down multi-course. The culinary selection should probably include something for the not-so-adventurous since we might have a few non-foodies in attendance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent restaurant in the Essex/Bergen/Passaic Co. area?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Congratulations!

I have no idea if they can do a group of this size, but I'd definitely call Fascino in Montclair, esp b/c you have time to plan. Keep in mind that Fascino has two different rooms and is BYO--there are good/bad sides to both. Crave could be a possibility as well, 'tho I have no clue as to their capacity or layout just yet. They do have a full liquor license! Will post other ideas as they come...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Congratulations! 

I have no idea if they can do a group of this size, but I'd definitely call Fascino in Montclair, esp b/c you have time to plan.  Keep in mind that Fascino has two different rooms and is BYO--there are good/bad sides to both.  Crave could be a possibility as well, 'tho I have no clue as to their capacity or layout just yet.  They do have a full liquor license!  Will post other ideas as they come...

Congratulations.

Crave looks capable of doing a 100 - 150 maybe 200 person reception / service on site. I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they're interested in the job.

(I had a tour when they were finishing up the kitchen and doing some final work on the dining room last autumn.)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm watching this thread closely too. I've been engaged almost 2 years and need to find a special place in NJ for 100-140 guests that's not the typical wedding experience. I've looked into Rat's but it's quite expensive, although the grounds are gorgeous.

Keep us posted on your progress, please!

My friend Carlos Lopes has just openened a Roselle Park outpost of his popular Solar do Minho restaurant(Belleville) Rumor has it he can seat 1400. I think he could handle a party of 100-150 with ease. Fine, Fine Portugese/Rodizio if your looking for something different.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Tell Carlos that Solar do Minho is one of my favorite Portuguese locations even considering Ironbound. I'll google it up and see what I find.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990