• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheeseburger in a can

JohnnyH

Trust me, the picture is better than the real thing! While a friend and I were in London we decided to drop in on a wealthy English college friend. "Come for hamburgers! It's been ages since I had a hamburger."

We sat horrified and astounded as Sara Jane took out the can opener and slid a few slimy grey disks into a saucepan along with their foul juice. And this girl had no excuse! She'd eaten North American hamburgers.

I can honestly say that it was of the three worst meals of my life.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You know, I was just thinking about how food photography - which involves a lot of making things looks ultimately way better than they should or would - is one of the hardest and most impressive professions...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

They couldn't seriously have put the bun and everything in the can, right? I mean, from what little I know about canning, my understanding is that it is impossible to can bread or bread products. Not to mention the lettuce, onions, etc.

So what is it? When you open the can, there's a "meat" patty with some cheese on it?

I hope that one of our members in the UK will take one for the team, buy one and open it, then post photos (might have to go in the Dinner II thread). I'm really curious to know what is in the can and I can't find any answers online.

Hi

Went to London in the late 60's and craved a hamburger. Saw a chain called Wimpys and ordered one. It qualified for this post. After getting back to Montreal I noticed a little article in the local paper. It stated that they had passed a law in England that in order to call it a hamburger it had to contain 3% meat!! You read that right.

Cheers

Malcolm

[

In the picture one can see the word "Mahlzeiten"...does that mean anything to anybody?

I believe "Mahlzeiten" means "meal times." The entire product is called a "Trekking Mahlzeiten." "Trekking" most likely means hiking, so it might imply that this is food for hikers or backpackers. On the products webpage, it is also referred to as falling under the category of "Zwischenmahlzeiten," or, "snacks." Hope this helps (and is correct).

josh

josh

Someone actually bought and ate one:

Don't blame me for your looking at these nasty pictures...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Oh Reddit, I knew you'd find someone who found and ate one!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

Someone actually bought and ate one:

Don't blame me for your looking at these nasty pictures...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Oh Reddit, I knew you'd find someone who found and ate one!

Those pictures are awesome. I think my favorite part is the pickles.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Wow! There is a bun inside and pickles and everything. And it doesn't look half-bad. Not at all what I was expecting to see. Very, very interesting. Thanks so much for posting this link.

PS So much for the theory that bread and bread products cannot be "successfully" canned.

Wow!  There is a bun inside and pickles and everything.  And it doesn't look half-bad.  Not at all what I was expecting to see.  Very, very interesting.  Thanks so much for posting this link.

PS  So much for the theory that bread and bread products cannot be "successfully" canned.

It doesn't look quite as bad until you see the pictures of the guy making faces while he ate it. :raz:

Well, I also thought it was kind of gross to look a the insides. My boyfriend, who has low gross-food-tolerance, couldn't finish looking at the pictures because they seemed so goopy.

eG Ethics Signatory

Wow!  There is a bun inside and pickles and everything.  And it doesn't look half-bad.  Not at all what I was expecting to see.  Very, very interesting.  Thanks so much for posting this link.

It doesn't look quite as bad until you see the pictures of the guy making faces while he ate it. :raz:

Well, I also thought it was kind of gross to look a the insides. My boyfriend, who has low gross-food-tolerance, couldn't finish looking at the pictures because they seemed so goopy.

I meant that it didn't look half-bad compared to what I expected to see! :laugh: (My expectations were very, very low - for obvious reasons).

The guy's facial expressions as he consumed this burger were priceless.