• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Island Fish Markets/Butchers

NoNiceTime

Long Island is blessed with many good seafood markets. The ones below were all recommended enthusiastically by readers and were visited by Newsday.

An article from Newsday a little over a year ago.

I see that Syosset Seafood made the list- I'll vouch for that one. My family, in the Glen Cove area goes there regularly (as well as to Fairway). A benefit, for those not in the area, is that it is located quite close to the LIE.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 3 months later...

Jordan's Lobster Farm in Island Park is pretty good. They will steam them while you wait if you like. All sizes up to 10lbs.

Where's the best place to get live lobster that isn't terribly overpriced? I'm in Queens but like to drive. We sometimes to to Stew Leonards in Conneticut or White Plains.

thanks.

Susan

Southampton and Hampton bays may be a bit far away for you but I can vouch for Cor J's in Hampton Bays..incredible local selection and they bring in everything from Monterey sea urchin to geoduck for me when I need it.

Southampton Prime Meats just opened up a new shop. Tim stocks rabbits, squab, Ibericao jamon etc..I had 2 beatifull whole spring lambs last week..incredible. Hell order what you need. As a side note..he also stocks Manni olive oil, a real bargain in my opinion