• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domino's Pizza Tracker

annecros

I don't know about Domino's at all, but one of our local Ameri-Chinese/Japanese places and one of our local red sauce Italian places have internet ordering. It's FANTASTIC! I don't have to worry that my accent or some language barrier has caused my order to be misheard, and I can send notes alongside each item ordered for changes or added requests. If I'm not feeling well, I don't have to deal with being put on hold, being asked to repeat myself, or trying to explain why I order sashimi and then ask for a bowl of sushi rice as a side.The drivers all know us, and they are wonderful to us. The owner of the Ameri-Chinese/Japanese place

called us a few times to let us know that a certain fish was not up to par in my order ( I order a lot of sashimi from them) and we have a running agreement on my file now with a list of my preferences for substitutions. They even have a notation that we like to be sent tea bags and that we eschew the packaged condiments! The Italian place knows that I usually order fresh tomato slices as an extra when I order Grandma style pizza. Once I didn't add ithat to my request, and they called to ask me if I'd forgotten it! PLUS, there is an online record in my account of all of my previous orders for the multiethnic place, and an online record of my 'favorite' orders at the Italian place. I just hit a couple of buttons and the food is on it's way to us. I adore online ordering! Of course, I'm one of those people who gets great service anyway, usually, and also, I'm not ordering from a large chain, so my experience may be very different than the norm. I don't know, but I'm VERY happy with online ordering. Now, if only their were more of a choice, cuisine wise, or if the food was free... THAT would be an improvement! :laugh:

edited: uisine/cuisine, hahahah!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

What is "Grandma Style Pizza"? Am I missing out? Grumbling tummies need to know.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I like how you can specify *which* half of the pizza you want your ingredients on when ordering just half and an ingredient. (maybe this isn't Domino's, rather Pappa Johns.)

Anyway, as to the point of on-line ordering, it can be convenient since it's asynchronous. You go to the web page, fill out the form at your own pace. Did the kids wander off just when you wanted to ask them what they wanted? Go track them down, get the information, and continue to fill out the on-line order form. You aren't tying up some person on the other end of the phone. Also, you might be surprised at how many people reall don't like to interact with other people.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I just got back from Mexico and everyone kept bragging about how good the Domino's pizza is there compared to the states. Well, one night everyone was feeling a little under the weather and we decided to try it. For one, I haven't had Domino's in probably 15 years. But it was actually pretty good and you get little picante sauce packets too!

Also, you might be surprised at how many people reall don't like to interact with other people.

:biggrin:

A friend once referred to me as the resident misanthrope during our grad school days. I denied it, but she wasn't too far from the truth.

They've had internet ordering at Pizza Hut and Dominos in Japan forever, and I've always wanted to use it, but for some reason it doesn't work with my English-language OS computer. It's a shame, because I always confuse the employees with my complex orders.

That begs another question:

What are the other 25 minutes for?

As a person who did some time in a pizza place (not a chain, a mom and pop place), I think I can field that one. The other 25 min. (or 35 min. or whatever) is generally because, fortunately for the business involved, you are probably not their only customer. :biggrin: Your pizza may take 10 minutes or so to pan, top, cook and box but it probably has to wait it's turn behind the people who called before you.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered pizza from Domino's last night in order to experience the pizza tracker and ... no go. First, my local Domino's isn't set up to accept online ordering, and then when I later plugged in my home phone number to try to track the order I placed over the phone, the system never found my order. Oh well.

What pleasantly surprised me, though, was that they were faster, cheaper, and delivered a distinctly better product than Pizza Hut (none of the good pizza places here will deliver). In fact, for $9.99, the large "BRKLYN" one-topping pizza was fairly good, or at least better than a frozen pizza. The crust seemed to have been made from actual dough, and it was light, not tough or chewy, and slightly blistered on the bottom. The cheese was still completely molten when it arrived, so it didn't taste like anything but did burn the roof of my mouth. The sauce was almost candy-sweet, but was kind of a nice counterpoint to the salty pepperoni. And, the pepperonis were nice and big and not too thick. So, if I again find myself stuck at home without the car and nothing much to make, I'd consider getting it again. Not for a while, though, as I woke up in the middle of the night with an urgent need to drink about a gallon of water in order to process all that salt.