• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domino's Pizza Tracker

annecros

So Domino's now has a service that allows you to follow your order online within a 40 second tolerance:

Click for press release

From the press release:

izza Tracker is linked directly to the computers inside the pizza stores using Domino's Pulse and is accurate to within 40 seconds, McGlothlin said. "Once it leaves the store, drive times vary due to distance, weather and traffic conditions, but customers will know that it's on the way."

Once customers place an order, they can go to www.dominos.com and click on the Pizza Tracker icon. They will see a horizontal bar that lights up red as each step in the process is completed. Customers will see confirmation of their order being received by the store; when it's being prepared; when it's been placed in the oven; when it's been boxed and placed in the Domino's HeatWave bag; and finally, when it's on its way for delivery.

"Customers using Pizza Tracker will no longer have to wonder where their pizza is in the ordering process -- it takes the 'mystery' out of waiting for their pizza. Not only that, it's entertaining, too," McGlothlin said.

This begs several questions:

How much "mystery" is there in waiting for a Pizza?

Couldn't you bake a pizza, if you have time to track it online?

There is an instant customer service button, where you can communicate directly with the store in question, and provide feedback. While there have been times when I would have loved to flame Domino's while I had six girls in the house for a sleepover, isn't this inviting a direct distraction for service flow on a busy Saturday Night?

Finally: Food or entertainment?

I wonder if it is in response to customers calling to check on the status of their pizzas and tying up the ordering lines. Otherwise I agree - I can't think of a good reason to do this except as an advertising gimmick, and it doesn't seem terribly cost effective for that.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Personally, I think that's a waste of time and money, and just kind of creepy.

At least they don't track the pizza from Domino's to your door via GPS.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Personally, I think that's a waste of time and money, and just kind of creepy.

At least they don't track the pizza from Domino's to your door via GPS.

The inner geek in me loves that idea. :biggrin:

"Alright, he's down the street! Pizza ETA in 48 seconds."

If only Domino's wasn't so disgusting...sigh.

I don't claim to know what it's like nationwide, but here in central Jersey, I can leave my driveway, drive in ANY direction for 4-5 minutes, and hit a Domino's. I'm not exaggerating, either. Off the top of my head, within a 5 mile radius, there's about 5 stores. Now, with that many places, no one is far from a Domino's...would you even NEED to track it? I know it's like that on Guam, too, the only other place I've been exposed to Domino's. There were at least 5 stores THERE, and that was over 12 years ago.

I would rather have GPS sticking to my Lucisano's (or any mom & pop joint, really) pizza. When they say "it'll be there within the hour", and Will, the 72 year old delivery "boy" moseys on up around 59 minutes later. There's some pizza (and wings, and a calzone) that I actually wonder about.

Either way this, like texting or online ordering (or from inside a game, even), is entering the realm of ridiculous.

Either way this, like texting or online ordering (or from inside a game, even), is entering the realm of ridiculous.

Wait, what? I agree that this timer tech is unnecessary, and probably just a marketing extension of Dominoes' focus on timeliness: "You got thirty minutes! (You may get more)." But what is wrong with online ordering? It takes no more time than calling, may take less (no getting put on hold), and if it remembers your previous order and CC info you can just click the "Send me my pizza now!" button. To me, this is a great use of technology. And frankly, if Dominoes offered a service where I could text the word "pizza" and they would replicate my last order and ship it out, I'd use it. When I am ordering pizza it's because I'm hungry, I'm working late, and I don't want to think about it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I dunno, ordering a pizza on the phone is pretty fast. I get to talk to a human, and I can say "What's the special this week? I'd like my crust a little more well done, thanks. Oh, and come in the side entrance, please."

Ordering out is already a major convenience, I don't need it stripped down to a one word command or button click, I guess. I like just a tad more interaction when it comes to my food. But then, this is why I don't order Domino's, to begin with.

You can provide all that special-order information when you order online from Domino's, and the specials of the week are presented as well.

The issue here for me is that it's not much of a story. For the past few years Domino's has had online ordering, and there has been an order-tracking tool. It didn't give the minute-by-minute updates but it told you when the store had received your order and stuff like that. So this is really just an incremental improvement over what Domino's was already doing. Of course I'd have preferred it if the company devoted whatever resources it used on this to making its pizza better instead.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Of course I'd have preferred it if the company devoted whatever resources it used on this to making its pizza better instead.

This probably belongs in a separate thread, but why all the vitriol towards Dominoes? I know, in NY you have hundreds of mom-and-pop pizza shops that probably produce better pizza (and hundreds more that produce worse!), but here in East Nowhere, Dominoes thin crust is the best stuff in town. Granted, it's a college town and most pizza places cater to the drunk frat boy crowd, but I actually like Dominoes thin crust pizza, and I'm not sure how I would improve it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Of course I'd have preferred it if the company devoted whatever resources it used on this to making its pizza better instead.

This probably belongs in a separate thread, but why all the vitriol towards Dominoes? I know, in NY you have hundreds of mom-and-pop pizza shops that probably produce better pizza (and hundreds more that produce worse!), but here in East Nowhere, Dominoes thin crust is the best stuff in town. Granted, it's a college town and most pizza places cater to the drunk frat boy crowd, but I actually like Dominoes thin crust pizza, and I'm not sure how I would improve it.

I pity you. Just kidding. :smile:

You're right, it seems a lot of the Dominoes-hatin' is coming from NY Metro area people, though I guess if you regularly see fit to make your own then you probably dislike Dominos as well. I think pizza, for most people, tends to be more of a convenience/fast food, though, so.. yeah.

Having gone to school in an area with not so good pizza, I can attest to the fact that if I didn't know what "good pizza" tastes like, I probably wouldn't have disliked them all as much. Then again, the free pizza at student events was usually Papa John's the cheapest pizza probably on the face of this planet (due to 10000000 student specials).

But going back to the pizza tracker... isn't their line of business all about gimmicks anyway?

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Actually I have no vitriol towards Domino's, and in fact hubby is fond of the hand tossed.

It could stand some improvement, although I am not sure how they can improve and also meet service deadlines that the store manager is bonused on.

If you want to see how Domino's pizza could be improved you need only look at Pizza Hut. I'm not really coming at this from an NY perspective, comparing Domino's to good New York pizzerias. I'm no pizza snob. If I'm on the road I'll eat at chain pizza restaurants. I like the pizza at the Costco snack bar just fine. But I'll always choose Pizza Hut over Domino's because Domino's is just not pleasant for me to eat -- waxy cheese, poor-quality sauce, dough full of off flavors (though the thin-crust dough is not as bad as the others, with the deep dish being the worst), unfortunate and stingy toppings -- whereas at least Pizza Hut makes an acceptable product. I actually think there are several brands of store-bought frozen pizza that are better than what Domino's brings to your door.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

But I'll always choose Pizza Hut over Domino's because Domino's is just not pleasant for me to eat -- waxy cheese, poor-quality sauce, dough full of off flavors (though the thin-crust dough is not as bad as the others, with the deep dish being the worst), unfortunate and stingy toppings -- whereas at least Pizza Hut makes an acceptable product. I actually think there are several brands of store-bought frozen pizza that are better than what Domino's brings to your door.

I need to pay more attention to my pizza! (or maybe pay less---I'm not sure I really want to notice those qualities!) Sounds like a pizza comparison is in order. When better than Superbowl Weekend?

Is your current take on frozen pizza the same as in this post (from 2003)? i.e. Tony's, Red Baron and DiGiorno at the top?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

My current take is the same only because I haven't had enough frozen pizza since 2003 to have a different take!

I decided to try the Domino's Pizza Tracker tonight.

First I tried to order online, but was told: "We're sorry...your store is currently unavailable for taking orders via the Internet at the present time. However, we would be very happy to take your order by phone"

So I called my local Domino's and, after listening to a recorded message encouraging me to order online, I spoke to a guy and placed my order. I then ran to the computer to begin the order-tracking process.

I entered my phone number and checked the box to promise that I was tracking my own pizza and not the pizza of someone I was spying on. A pretty cool utility then popped up, giving me graphical and textual information on my pizza's status at every stage of production. For example:

"Mohamed put your order in the oven at 10:11 PM"

and

"Our delivery expert, Aboubacar, left the store with your order at 10:17 PM"

My pizza arrived shortly thereafter (the store is only 3 or 4 minutes from my apartment by bicycle). I thanked Aboubacar by name, and also asked him to thank Mohamed for baking my pizza. He said, without a hint of irony, "Yes, I will tell him."

The pizza (crispy melt with pepperoni) was kind of disgusting, but I enjoyed the overall experience.

Interesting, are those the actual times you got? Less than six minutes in the pizza oven.

I didn't consider the stalker angle - I suppose you would have to know when the stalkee ordered pizza.

This made me think of this ALCU clip.. Ordering Pizza in 2110

On a happier note, I have to say, Fat Guy, you're a guy after my own heart. First the munchos, now this. Able to take one for the team (ordering Domino's..Keeerist!) in order to let us live tech-avariciously through you. Cheers.

(And I had hoped to snag your attention once before. Please, as one Munchoer to another, do yourself a favour and try Thou Shall Snack's Latke Crisps.)

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Hey, if I could get my pizza at home to cook in 5 minutes, I would consider it a triumph. Stupid oven only goes up to 500 though, so I'm stuck at 7-8 minutes.

I hate Domino's pizza, but I love the gadget angle. I ordered online before from Pizza Hut (hate them too, but they and Domino's are the only pizza places that will deliver here) and had to wait about 45 minutes for it to get here. So confirmation that yes, the pizza is actually being worked on would be great.

Edited by plk (log)

Yes annecros, domino's pizza in that conveyor belt oven cooks up in just over 5 minutes, good things take time ya know!

That begs another question:

What are the other 25 minutes for?

I guess Mohamed would need to time his pizza loading on the conveyor belt so that Aboubacar wouldn't end up in a pizza eating panic ala Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz in the candy factory?

Lot's of precook and prepep going on I guess.