• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio nuts

jbbank

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase good quality nuts in Montreal or in Canada? I was looking for Iranian pistachios, but as it turns out, the trade agreements between Iran and US have made them near impossible to get.

I looked elsewhere and found a few places that sell Turkish pistachios, but none of the online purveyors from the US ship to Canada. Is there a way to find Iranian or Turkish pistachios in Canada? Or even Indian cashews? I'm guessing with our Arab population, there should be some sources for these treats.

The Persian grocer Akhavan on Sherbrooke St in NDG has a great selection of nuts, particularly Iranian pistachios click.

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase good quality nuts in Montreal or in Canada? I was looking for Iranian pistachios, but as it turns out, the trade agreements between Iran and US have made them near impossible to get.

I looked elsewhere and found a few places that sell Turkish pistachios, but none of the online purveyors from the US ship to Canada. Is there a way to find Iranian or Turkish pistachios in Canada? Or even Indian cashews? I'm guessing with our Arab population, there should be some sources for these treats.

You could head to Atwater market. The nuts vendor that is usually at JTM is located there for the winter and their pistachios are simply amazing. They're salted with sea salt though. ANy type of nuts they sell os good.

I think the Pistachio at PA (on Parc) are Iranian. ( in small metal tin).

Forget all the supermarkets and boutique nut vendors. Go where most of the Middle Eastern clients go........ There are a number of nut roasters up near marche Centrale. My favorite is Cananut on Mazurette. The selection of Pistachios is pretty good and you should be able to find Iranian, Turkish, California, in a variety of sizes and seasoning.

Unlike the en Vrac places, you are welcome to sample the nuts before making your selection. Most importantly, their volume is good, so the product is fresh, and the process are so insanely low it makes you wonder how they make $$.

Trust me, once you check it out, you will be a convert.

They also have tons of other nuts, grains, dried beans, and a bunch of different regional Zataar's.

Arkhavan is good, but the selection and price at Cananut are worth the trip. BTW the Iranian Dried Apricots at Arkhavan are unbelievable. Try them spread with their thick Yoghurt.

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.