• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My favorite wine bar is no more!

sharonb

This weekend I was in the Oberkampf neighborhood for the first time in a long time. Since I was there, I decided to walk by (and potentially stop into) my favorite wine bar, on the rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, Les Crâneuses. Imagine my surprise to see it (closed; it was a Sunday) now bearing the name Orange Mécanique on the glass pane in front of the closed metal divider. What gives?! This was a great wine bar and always seemed crowded and popular (as well as excellent in quality - not only wines selected with great care and talent, but just three types of comestibles: a charcuterie plate from Meurdesoif, a cheese plate from Androuët and a smoked salmon, herring, etc. plate from some equally well-respected poisonnerie).

Anyone know anything about this? Has it gone elsewhere or just off to the pearly gates?

Anyone else had a similar shock to recount?

This weekend I was in the Oberkampf neighborhood for the first time in a long time. Since I was there, I decided to walk by (and potentially stop into) my favorite wine bar, on the rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, Les Crâneuses. Imagine my surprise to see it (closed; it was a Sunday) now bearing the name Orange Mécanique on the glass pane in front of the closed metal divider. What gives?! This was a great wine bar and always seemed crowded and popular (as well as excellent in quality - not only wines selected with great care and talent, but just three types of comestibles: a charcuterie plate from Meurdesoif, a cheese plate from Androuët and a smoked salmon, herring, etc. plate from some equally well-respected poisonnerie).

Anyone know anything about this? Has it gone elsewhere or just off to the pearly gates?

Anyone else had a similar shock to recount?

How terrible. I have this written in my little black book for a place to try in the 11th :sad:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com