• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Sinks - Single or Double??

scubadoo97

We just redid out kitchen and I went with a large single bowl sink. We bought it at Galaxytoolsupply.com and the sink is a ticor. Its fabulous, 16 gauge, came with grids and a strainer. Love it.

edited to remove the line about combining the two topics!!

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I have an extra deep single sink and I love it. When I built my house about a year ago, I too had trouble finding a single sink but I'm glad I persevered. I can't imagine trying to wash my large sheet pans and pots in a double sink.

We just redid out kitchen and I went with a large single bowl sink.  We bought it at Galaxytoolsupply.com and the sink is a ticor.  Its fabulous, 16 gauge, came with grids and a strainer.  Love it.

Btw, I started a topic on this very same subject last October. Maybe the moderators can combine the two!!

That's exactly the sink I'm looking at, the s112. A behemoth with a bowl size: 29-1/2" x 16-1/4" Depth: 10”. You obviously like it, but do ever find it to be unwieldy?

Good idea about combining the threads.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I've had both and I prefer the single bowl. The double bowl sink becomes a problem with anything larger than a 9x13 pan or larger stock pots (over 2 gallons). On the plus side, with a double bowl you can soak something in one bowl and still leave one bowl free - you don't lose complete use of your sink.

Kohler has a self-rimming version of the following sink tha I think is the ultimate sink: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/det...on=1&category=5

Am I the only person here who puts a drying rack in the second bowl of my double-bowled sink? Where do you all put them? Just on the counter, or do you have sinks like the Kohler in the post above that have a special "drying rack area" that is not recessed as much as a full bowl? Or do I just use an inordinate number of pots and pans and glasses that require drying space?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We just redid our kitchen and chose the Blanco Precision 1-3/4 bowl; one side is 17x18 and the other is 13x18, both are 10 inches deep. I'm really, really enjoying it.

Since we didn't have space (well, we did, but I didn't want to) for a second prep sink in the island, I wanted the double sink so that one side could hold dirty dishes as I was cooking and the other side would be free for washing veggies, hands, etc. For me, a single bowl would never work. But I think single vs. double is a matter of preference. The nice thing about the single sink is you can be sure that even your largest pans will fit down into it; my half-sheet pans don't quite fit in the larger bowl. However, with the 10" depth (plus the 1 1/4" for the counter), almost everything nestles below your line of site, so dirty dishes aren't as visible when people show up.

The other consideration with a sink that deep, though, is that with the Evolution Excel InSinkErator garbage disposal mounted on the bottom, a large beast in its own right, there isn't much under the sink space. I definitely don't have much clearance under there for storing cleaning supplies; everything is stored in a separate utility closet, except for the dishwasher soap, which is wedged into the one clear area in the front.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I found CaliPoutine's thread from August. All the information there and in this thread leads me to conclude the decision is a personal one and depends on how one uses their sink in real life. A really big single bowl best fits how we use the sink. I could get a 36" sink base and locate a double bowl with one huge side and one skinny side. But the 36" would throw the design off. Moreover, I haven't seen a double bowl that would accommodate lots of pots and large baking pans.

I'm buying the Ticor S112.

Thanks all!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Am I the only person here who puts a drying rack in the second bowl of my double-bowled sink? Where do you all put them? Just on the counter, or do you have sinks like the Kohler in the post above that have a special "drying rack area" that is not recessed as much as a full bowl? Or do I just use an inordinate number of pots and pans and glasses that require drying space?

My sister uses a drying rack in her double. I find that they don't really dry there if you have to wash something in the other side. The splashing water from the other bowl gets the pots & utensils wet again. I just use a towel laid out on the counter to dry things.

I saw that sink I linked to on display at a client's showroom, it's going into my next house.

One possibility is what my landlord did. He bought a used restaurant double sink, cut the legs off of it, and mounted it in the counter. Similar utilitarian faucet. I don't know how much it cost, but I see used dishwashing sinks by the dozen at the restaurant stores. Can't be that much.

Notes from the underbelly

One possibility is what my landlord did. He bought a used restaurant double sink, cut the legs off of it, and mounted it in the counter. Similar utilitarian faucet. I don't know how much it cost, but I see used dishwashing sinks by the dozen at the restaurant stores. Can't be that much.

Any idea if the fittings are the same size as a residential sink, i.e. for a garbage disposal?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Used Franke Manor House sink http://www.frankeksd.com/productdetail.php...group=53&lvl=3# . Biggest Franke I could get, one sink. heavier weight SS, absolutely bullet proof. We use Falk Culinair copper which will dent or break anything it comes into contact with. The Franke is unfazed by rough contact. It handles the biggest pots and roasting pans. You don't need these dinky little bowls for washing vegetables and other things. We have the bottom grate for the Franke and LOTS of vegatables go into the bottom and are washed and prepped. Could not accomplish anything with those little sinks.

I have that sink, and I absolutely adore it. Here is a photo:

gallery_11735_5529_289603.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel.  I have always had a double sink but can't say that I have used the non-disposal side very often.  One of the real benefits I would have with one large single bowl is that I could wash a roasting pan with out having to tip it and turn it to clean it.  So which do you prefer?  What would I be giving up with a single bowl that hasn't yet crossed my mind?  What are good brands and gauges for stainless and are there better materials you would recommend?  Egullet members always have good suggestions.  Help!  Thanks

I redid my kitchen 2 years ago. The original kitchen had a double-bowled sink in a corner - two square sinks on either side of a 90 degree angle with the faucet in the middle.

The two square bowls were so small I had to wash larger pots in the bathtub! (I live in a condo and don't have a laundry sink) - shades of college!

So when I redid the kitchen (a lot was cosmetic - I kept the old cabinets as much as possible and resurfaced them - along with spiffy new countertops, an extra cabinet, and roll-out storage everywhere - there really wasn't much I could do as far as reconfiguring the kitchen space) I shifted the sink to one side and opted for a huge, deep, single sink. I don't remember the brand -- nothing fancy -- but I swear it's the size of a small bathtub. I asked the designer to put in as big a sink as possible, even if it ended up being slightly off-center to the design.

I got my great big honking sink! I'm in heaven.

If I want to wash greens or something, I have an over-the-sink-colander thingy that I just set to one side of the sink.

One bowl or two, it's just nice to have one bowl large enough that I don't have to wash kitchen stuff in the bathtub anymore.

How much more grown-up can you get?

I have a Franke Orca and it's a large single with great lines. It's interior length is 29", and it's 10" deep. I have never, in my long cooking life, had a better sink. The faucet had some drip problems and, being German in origin, everything has to be ordered from HansGrohe. Subject to the vagaries of the postal system, I anticipate not using that sink for another week. Meanwhile, all the cleanup is being done in the 20" prep/bar sink, and it's a pain!