• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grease Trap for Chocolate Shop

ChristopherMichael

Anybody ever hear of a chocolate shop (yes, production will be on site) having to put in a grease trap? I have never heard about a chocolate shop having to put in one. If you know of a chocolate shop having to do this, please let me know where they're located and who they are. Thanks

We had to put in a 100 gallon grease trap underneath our 3 compartment sink. According to my utility company, if you are putting anything else besides water and soap down your drains, you need one.

Be very sure that they are looking for an under the sink trap, NOT something like a 1000 gallon trap that has to be put outside....then you are looking at 5,000.00 plus...at least in North Florida.

Anybody ever hear of a chocolate shop (yes, production will be on site) having to put in a grease trap? I have never heard about a chocolate shop having to put in one. If you know of a chocolate shop having to do this, please let me know where they're located and who they are. Thanks

We had to put in a 100 gallon grease trap underneath our 3 compartment sink. According to my utility company, if you are putting anything else besides water and soap down your drains, you need one.

Be very sure that they are looking for an under the sink trap, NOT something like a 1000 gallon trap that has to be put outside....then you are looking at 5,000.00 plus...at least in North Florida.

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to install and how much for the actual trap? Thanks

I had to put one in (Rhode Island), and it is inspected periodically by my town. I can look up the cost and size tonight. I do remember that in my area we are allowed to use the manually-emptied kind, whereas in Providence [i was told] the automatic kind, at much greater cost, are required.

I had to put one in (Rhode Island), and it is inspected periodically by my town.  I can look up the cost and size tonight.  I do remember that in my area we are allowed to use the manually-emptied kind, whereas in Providence [i was told] the automatic kind, at much greater cost, are required.

I met with the city today and they are requiring me to put a small one in. How often do you have to empty it ? Do you do it yourself?

Edited by ChristopherMichael (log)

You could do it yourself - or you can bring in the plumber to do it. Do it often and it isn't as gross as letting it go. The last kitchen I was in (I sublet) didn't do it for two years and when they finally did, I couldn't stand to be in the kitchen. My current kitchen is a much larger facility with a huge trap and the plumber comes in every 3 months.

I do empty it myself, not often enough, once last year (first year in new shop), pledging to every three months this year. It is a nasty job, I do it after closing on Sat night, since we open latest on Sundays. I'm pretty sure mine is a 20-gallon, the one I had in the old shop was the smallest made and it's now sitting in my garage. Be more than happy to give it to anyone within driving distance!

I was more than happy to let the plumber take care of that one. It was so nasty in fact that I usually found an excuse to get far away until he was done.

Of course we waited until the sinks backed up before calling him in; in retrospect that might have been a bad way to handle it ...

Notes from the underbelly

I know that my son opened a catering business in So Calf. and the health dept in his town would not allow him to put a grease trap under the sink! It required him to install a 500 gal one outside. :wacko: With the unit cost and the installation and labor charges( Had to dig a long way to connect to main sewer. The cost was over $10000 :sad: This was almost the deal breaker on starting his business!! There are several stores and restaurants that were unable to open because of this regulation!