• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Replacement for lamb broth?

pickledgarlic

Hey gang,

I've come across a strange ingredient in something I'm trying to make --a braised lamb dish with root vegetables, dried fruit, nuts, cumin... and

lamb stock.

I don't really have the inclination (or the funds!) to make a batch of lamb stock. Any ideas for a suitable substitution? Beef brother is the easy one, but would it work/taste good?

Anyone run into this before?

Cheers.

Yeh, I wouldnt take the dish so literally.. Am I going to lie and say it wouldnt be amazing if you added lamb broth/stock, no. That might be something you add later on.. Just make the dish with any liquid you want.. A vegetable broth, a chicken stock, or salted water.. Just make the dish and make changes the next time.

Cooking a dish like this isnt a formula.. I mean, its a formula, but you need to think about why you are adding lamb stock.. One you are adding it for flavor and two you are adding it to braise or help cook the meat.. Once you add the dried fruit, the vegetables, and other things the dish will take on flavors..I give you permission to add bacon lardons. Maybe omitting the lamb stock will bring out the fruit, or maybe it will bring out the vegetables you use.. Either way, you put good things in, its going to taste good..

Baking is when you need to really care about tbls, tsp, cups and ounces of things.. Cooking, taste as you go and make adjustments. More salt then you think (at the end). pepper, a hit of lemon, and stirring in butter to your sauce, can fix most things.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Just bouncing off of what these guys have posted- it takes me a while to get enough bones to make a lamb stock, and even at that if I have a pint available in the freezer at any time it is a lot. As an example- yesterday my wife got a family pack of lamb shoulder, which I turned into some lamb korma. The meat was trimmed for the stew and I saved and roasted the (admittedly small) bones for use at a later date. They are in a ziplock in my freezer right now, and when I have collected enough I will make a stock from them. FWIW- I used chicken stock in the dish yesterday and it came out just smashing!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Maybe take a neutral stock like veal or chicken and fortify with some lamb trim?

In cases like this, my usual solution is to simmer some bones and trim in white chicken stock, or even canned chicken broth. Lamb and pork bones-trim both can sway the base flavor substantially in 20 to 30 minutes.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Maybe take a neutral stock like veal or chicken and fortify with some lamb trim?

In cases like this, my usual solution is to simmer some bones and trim in white chicken stock, or even canned chicken broth. Lamb and pork bones-trim both can sway the base flavor substantially in 20 to 30 minutes.

That is a most excellent suggestion. Definitely what I would do. It would probably work fine with any base stock.