• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

A Tip 'O the Hat to Camper English. I enjoy his writings immensely, but he hasn't presented what i consider a practical product that could produce clear ice cubes (I'm not talking about sticking an igloo cooler in my freezer). Also, he hasn't written about a key concept in producing clear ice, that makes the product i'm thinking about feasible.

If this works, it will produce standard size, clear ice cubes, in any home refrigerator, without taking over the entire freezer compartment.

A Tip 'O the Hat to Camper English. I enjoy his writings immensely, but he hasn't presented what i consider a practical product that could produce clear ice cubes (I'm not talking about sticking an igloo cooler in my freezer). Also, he hasn't written about a key concept in producing clear ice, that makes the product i'm thinking about feasible.

If this works, it will produce standard size, clear ice cubes, in any home refrigerator, without taking over the entire freezer compartment.

I think you are right - there is a market for something like this. I look forward to adding your gadget to the rest of my gadgets!

Isn't the water and not the tray?

Doesn't look like it, if your definition is "perfectly clear": http://www.alcademics.com/2009/12/clear-ice-blocks-at-home-in-an-igloo-cooler.html

I don't think he disproved that gas in the water is responsible for cloudy ice. Boiling water first will drive off gas, but it will reabsorb as it cools down to freezing unless its cooled in a vacuum.

• 6 months later...

This is not a new gadget but when I got an email from Thermoworks with a "deal" on "open box" Thermapens at a discount, I ordered one.

This time I opted for PURPLE mostly to distinguish it from my others.

I think the color is really cool.

HPIM4706.JPG

HPIM4707.JPG

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It came with a purple iPad? :wink:

No, I got the iPad a few weeks ago and got the purple "jacket" for it to keep it from sliding around. I've also got a folding case with bluetooth keyboard for travel. I love gadgets.

This Thermapen is certainly faster than my older Thermapens and the Super-Fast dishwasher safe pocket digital (also Thermoworks).

I think the Purple does look "faster" :laugh: - I like purple in clothes but haven't had much purple kitchen stuff - I have a pitcher with a purple cow on it. Somewhere in my "stuff" I have one of the Nambé bowls that is silver on the outside and purple on the inside.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, the votes are in: Purple (on-sale) TPens are the best! Mine arrives later today!

this replaces an 8 yo Red, which used to be the best. Currently it gets confused from time to time.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Well, the votes are in: Purple (on-sale) TPens are the best! Mine arrives later today!

this replaces an 8 yo Red, which used to be the best. Currently it gets confused from time to time.

I think it is a pretty good deal. A friend in Oz. has ordered four, one for herself and the rest for holiday prezzies.

This is not a new gadget but when I got an email from Thermoworks with a "deal" on "open box" Thermapens at a discount, I ordered one.

How does your "open box" unit differ from New?

(I ordered a yellow one).

Monterey Bay area

How does your "open box" unit differ from New?

(I ordered a yellow one).

As far as I can tell, it looks perfect. There is absolutely no evidence that it was ever used or even taken out of the package.

As far as I can tell, it looks perfect. There is absolutely no evidence that it was ever used or even taken out of the package.

I was thinking some of them might be new overstock in colors that aren't selling.

Monterey Bay area

Received my "open box" yellow Thermapen - it appears to be new/unused, so I assume it's overstock.

It's bigger than I imagined, and the "yellow" is more like a school-bus yellow.

Looks like a Fisher-Price™ banana slug.

Monterey Bay area

Received my "open box" yellow Thermapen - it appears to be new/unused, so I assume it's overstock.

It's bigger than I imagined, and the "yellow" is more like a school-bus yellow.

Looks like a Fisher-Price™ banana slug.

Mine is slightly larger than my original Thermapen - I think it is because of the "Splash-Proof" seal.

I bought the black one but, in retrospect, I maybe should have picked up a colored one to distinguish it from the rest of the stuff in my drawer.

You could get one of the magnetic "boots" for the Thermapen - it glows in the dark. Only $11.00.

• 1 month later...

Here's a new gadget - I don't "need" one because I have my big two-handled pizza knife, but it sure is pretty.

Rosle Pizza Cutter.

I bought an OXO Good Grips corn cob stripper. It was 25% off and I was very much in corn mode as I've made Food52's showstopper Summer Corn Chowder 3 times in just couple of weeks. I think it's a good tool/gadget, but I'm not quite convinced that it's any better than a heavy, well-sharpened knife.. Perhaps I need to make more chowder ... just to be certain.

Edited by Rover (log)

I bought an OXO Good Grips corn cob stripper. It was 25% off and I was very much in corn mode as I've made Food52's showstopper Summer Corn Chowder 3 times in just couple of weeks. I think it's a good tool/gadget, but I'm not quite convinced that it's any better than a heavy, well-sharpened knife.. Perhaps I need to make more chowder ... just to be certain.

I've used just about every gadget for corn cutting - I have my ancient "Lee's" cutter that works fine, especially when I need to cut a large batch for corn relish to be canned.

Recently one of the members in my book club advised me to try one of the curved "grapefruit knives" and by golly it works a treat for both cutting the kernels off the cob and for scraping the cob to get as much juice as possible.

The one I have is a Messermeister but any should work just fine. The curved blade means you only have to make four strokes, for an average-sized cob.

andiesenji - as soon as I read curved grapefruit knife, I could see immediately it would be right, serated and shaped - might have been designed for the job. I wonder if there's still one tucked away at the back of the drawer...

On the topic of corn and gadgets, the best method/tool I found for buttering corn on the cob is to take the heel of a baguette, spread thickly with butter and apply to still warm corn cob.