• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

Anna N and I were at the Toronto Gift Show today and ran across some notable new gadgets that piqued our interest.

The first was a silicone lid made by Danesco that when placed on a bowl forms a seal. You can actually pick up the bowl with the lid. Here is a link. Look at bottom row, bowl cover, item number 1312011.

The company that makes the silicone food loops now makes a silicone loop with a needle on the end that can be used to lace up your poultry etc. It's called the Food Lace. The same company also is making stainless steel food loops that can be used on the grill - a shortcoming of the silicone food loops. No pictures available for those yet.

We saw a fabulous new Soehnle scale - a thin little thing, looks wonderfully easy to clean, handles about 10 pounds. It comes in a burgundy, orange, green, white and blue. There isn't a good photo of it anywhere on line - just this one which doesn't do justice to how nice this scale looked. It weighs next to nothing and has a glass surface that requires just the lightest touch to turn on, off and tare.

We also noticed that Waring is making an induction cooker that will retail for about $150 and will be available later this year.

Another neat thing we saw was this little unit. It apparently was fueled originally by burning corn cobs, but you can use a few briquettes as a heat source.

A great day for gadgets.

Have you seen anything new lately?

We saw a fabulous new Soehnle scale - a thin little thing, looks wonderfully easy to clean, handles about 10 pounds.  It comes in a burgundy, orange, green, white and blue.  There isn't a good photo of it anywhere on line - just this one which doesn't do justice to how nice this scale looked.  It weighs next to nothing and has a glass surface that requires just the lightest touch to turn on, off and tare. 

Bought that scale a week ago or so. Needed a slim scale that can easily fit into a knife case (cooking school - yay!). It is very thin, light and has an all glass top. So far, I think it is great. We will see how it will hold up to heavy duty use.

I'm curious about those lids. I think I saw them demonstrated on TV somewhere the other day.

Did you get a chance to try them hands on? I have a variety of mismatched family heirloom sort of serving pieces, and it strikes me that it would save me a lot of grief around the holidays for storing leftovers.

I'm curious about those lids. I think I saw them demonstrated on TV somewhere the other day.

Did you get a chance to try them hands on? I have a variety of mismatched family heirloom sort of serving pieces, and it strikes me that it would save me a lot of grief around the holidays for storing leftovers.

We tried it on a plastic bowl they had available - worked amazing - you could pick up the bowl with the lid.

I believe I've seen the silicone lids demo'ed on QVC. I remember how the lids formed a suction on the bowls.

QVC.com

I searched on the QVC site for "silicone lid" and got a lot of results...some accurate, some not.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We also noticed that Waring is making an induction cooker that will retail for about $150 and will be available later this year. 

Waring has had an induction burner on the market for a couple of years. Is this a new model?

Waring has had an induction burner on the market for a couple of years. Is this a new model?

I don't know the answer to that, but he did say it was due to be released later this year. It's 1400 W which means it's approved in Canada. And it's going to be less expensive than the ones listed online now.

I don't know the answer to that, but he did say it was due to be released later this year. It's 1400 W which means it's approved in Canada. And it's going to be less expensive than the ones listed online now.

I've had Supentown induction burners for several years. Never had a problem with either.

Induction burners at Target

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 6 months later...

A riff off of the "stabbing victim" style knife blocks:

Throwzini 6-Piece Knife Block Set

It also spins, which was a little alarming :shock: until I saw that the knives have sheaths.

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping up this topic as there is something "New" or newish on the market.

My weekly Kitchen Contraptions email arrived yesterday but I didn't check it until this morning.

An interesting knife design from Kuhn Rikon with an interesting name.

and yet another somewhat useless new "pitter" gadget. I suspect this one will not be as handy as the mango pitter, which I do like.

Peach Pitter

Frankly, I have my own routine for working with peaches - lots of peaches and I doubt this gadget could improve on it.

I do like the looks of the Phoenix Cooktop But doubt that I will ever convert to an electric cooktop.

There is also the super thin kitchen scale by Ozeri, which looks interesting.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My weekly Kitchen Contraptions email arrived yesterday but I didn't check it until this morning.

That is quite the website. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Kitchen Contraptions email appeared this morning and included

This very handy laptop protector

I had seen another some months ago, not as high or with as much coverage as this one, i.e., did not protect the screen.

For those who routinely use their laptop in the kitchen (and have a mouse as apparently the touchpad is covered) this should be ideal.

Email today from Cooking Enthusiast (one of the many kitchen utensil and gadget catalogs that sends emails to subscribers) with a "new" style knife names "Half Time Knife" - a twin-bladed knife that reminds me of something similar I saw some ten or so years ago on one of those late-night sell-a-thons. Never bought anything from them.

CE says this is a Must-have kitchen workhorse that comes with a lifetime warranty.

I'm not so sure of the "must-have" identity. I have several twin-bladed mezalunas and choppers - one similar to an ulu but with two blades and its own bowl.

The blades appear to be stamped and I am always suspicious of stamped blades on a regular knife. The discounted price isn't too outrageous but the regular price is. (IMHO)

Anyone seen or tried this item?

These "after market" beaters have been out for Kitchenaids for a couple of years but they are the new gadget I've been happiest with. They have little windshield wiping blade looking things on the side so you don't have to scrape down your bowl.

http://www.kitchenkaboodle.com/gotm.php?gotmid=133

I have found that they really make a marked difference in things like cheesecake where scraping is imperative. Other things just go faster because you don't have to stop.

I discovered them at the Kitchen Kaboodle site which has a "Gadget of the Month" feature that I like.

I saw this the other day and thought it was neat...

http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/08/kitchenaids-chef-touch-whirlpools-foray.html

More of an appliance than a gadget, but I'd love to have it in the kitchen I will one day own. It's a combination steam oven/shock freezer/chamber vacuum. They're calling it a sous vide machine, but it lacks a controlled water bath.

I saw this the other day and thought it was neat...

http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/08/kitchenaids-chef-touch-whirlpools-foray.html'>http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/08/kitchenaids-chef-touch-whirlpools-foray.html

More of an appliance than a gadget, but I'd love to have it in the kitchen I will one day own. It's a combination steam oven/shock freezer/chamber vacuum. They're calling it a sous vide machine, but it lacks a controlled water bath.

Thanks for the link! My questions are:

1. How much will it cost?

2. Will it be available in the US?

Anyone across the pond have any info?

- Pablo

http://blog.medellitin.com

These "after market" beaters have been out for Kitchenaids for a couple of years but they are the new gadget I've been happiest with. They have little windshield wiping blade looking things on the side so you don't have to scrape down your bowl.

Do they stand up to being run through the dishwasher?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Do they stand up to being run through the dishwasher?

Yes. I noticed in some catalog that they now have a professional model that's metal. These are plastic. I always wash it in the dishwasher. I've given at least 4 as gifts and they've all held up in the dishwasher, too.

http://www.kitchenkaboodle.com/gotm.php?gotmid=133

I have found that they really make a marked difference in things like cheesecake where scraping is imperative. Other things just go faster because you don't have to stop.

I discovered them at the Kitchen Kaboodle site which has a "Gadget of the Month" feature that I like.

Here's a previous eGullet discussion about them:

Replacement Beaters for Stand Mixers Merged topics - Beater Blade, etc.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Email today from Cooking Enthusiast (one of the many kitchen utensil and gadget catalogs that sends emails to subscribers) with a "new" style knife names "Half Time Knife" - a twin-bladed knife that reminds me of something similar I saw some ten or so years ago on one of those late-night sell-a-thons. Never bought anything from them.

CE says this is a Must-have kitchen workhorse that comes with a lifetime warranty.

I'm not so sure of the "must-have" identity. I have several twin-bladed mezalunas and choppers - one similar to an ulu but with two blades and its own bowl.

The blades appear to be stamped and I am always suspicious of stamped blades on a regular knife. The discounted price isn't too outrageous but the regular price is. (IMHO)

Anyone seen or tried this item?

My father had a similar item by Caplhalon. I don't think they would be that practical. In the end they would be hard to resharpen, difficult to store (safely) and actually a bit dangerous. A twin bladed mezaluna is one thing, but this style of knife begs to be used like a real knife and I actually think food slippage and knife mishaps will be more common. Just my opinion.

I like to say things and eat stuff.

Anna N and I were at the Toronto Gift Show today and ran across some notable new gadgets that piqued our interest.

The first was a silicone lid made by Danesco that when placed on a bowl forms a seal. You can actually pick up the bowl with the lid. Here is a link. Look at bottom row, bowl cover, item number 1312011.

The company that makes the silicone food loops now makes a silicone loop with a needle on the end that can be used to lace up your poultry etc. It's called the Food Lace. The same company also is making stainless steel food loops that can be used on the grill - a shortcoming of the silicone food loops. No pictures available for those yet.

I know the first post on this subject was in 2008 and the link no longer is accurate, but last March I think I saw that silicone lid thing at the Chicago Housewares Show. I was (and wasn't) impressed with it. I'm not sure if I am talking about the same product as the link info no longer applies, but if I am thinking of the same product where a flat circular silicone device is placed over any bowl/vessel and it forms a strong seal for storage, the I am on the same page.

When I saw this item, my immediate impression was that it was not that useful. You had to push it down to make a seal which meant that it depressed into the bowl and you couldn't use the whole bowl volume. Also the edges of the circular thing hung over the bowl to ensure that it maximized space in the fridge. Sure, they had small medium and large sizes, but I still didn't find it efficient in terms of storage space. And I really couldn't see how this would be better than regular storage containers that are made to be stackable. Also, I can take 'press and seal' film and put it over anything -- even more than the silicone thing, but as soon as the leftovers are used up enough, I quickly transfer the food t to another (smaller).

Edited by mr drinkie (log)

I like to say things and eat stuff.