• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My mom had the old all-metal version.  I have the orange plastic one shown in the video.  I've had it for 40 years (bought it for my first kitchen as a college undergrad) and still use it regularly. 

I had a metal mouli. More than one.  They rusted badly.  Now I have a mouli foodmill but it is made of stainless.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have an orange one put away somewhere. A few years ago I found a Gricer Mfg company clamp-mount crank-operated shredder that is similar to the KitchenAid shredding attachment. It's good for traveling/camping. I found the mouli-julienne a bit awkward to use, but I think it's me.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have an orange one put away somewhere. A few years ago I found a Gricer Mfg company clamp-mount crank-operated shredder that is similar to the KitchenAid shredding attachment. It's good for traveling/camping. I found the mouli-julienne a bit awkward to use, but I think it's me.

There's not a ton of clearance between the hand that's pressing down on the tamper that pushes the food down towards the cutting disk and the angled handle that you're turning with your other hand.  I can imagine that being an issue for those with larger hands. 

Nope. Nope. Nope. Tried the black garlic again. It is hard to describe the flavour - there is definitely some deep umami going on..reminiscent of shiitake mushrooms, but burnt. I washed everything out with a tiny bit of bleach in a sink of water and am now waiting for my third attempt...apple essence. Different setting, much shorter cook time . The apples cook and release their juice into the larger pot. I’ll test pectin level in the juice. If it works then it will be a nice, quick, easy way to make my pectin stock. Will report back.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 5:57 PM, Louise nadine brill said:

Finally success. Produced crystal clear juice and pectin was intact. Will be good Stock for making beautiful clear jellies. Made me realise this thing probably makes excellent consomme. 

Have you ever tried a steam juicer for this purpose?

3 hours ago, jimb0 said:

Have you ever tried a steam juicer for this purpose?

I'd probably want to stick with electric.

I mean steam is cool and all,  but all the soot and smoke indoors...

• Haha 2

Not exactly a "gadget" per se but I have been using these new silicone baking pans that have a steel frame around the top.

I baked this banana cake yesterday and it came out of the pan cleanly, you can see the residue and I did not use anything to loosen the sides, the cake pulled away from the sides, easy to see and it is a bit sticky.  I got a great rise, usually this cake is at least 1/4 less  in height

in a regular metal 9" round pan.  

I was sent a loaf pan and a 6 cup muffin pan and had similar experiences with those.

I have used a lot of silicone baking pans and these are superior to any of those, many of which were discarded.

693766500_Bananacake.thumb.jpg.275aa5c25d3a5ea1b9996d524b758239.jpg

1532821530_Bananacake2.thumb.jpg.7344e901d3fe08766a37c2c962e4d5ce.jpg

867454830_Bananacake3.thumb.jpg.310aca2a86bc5997966285c3274760b6.jpg

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Not exactly a "gadget" per se but I have been using these new silicone baking pans that have a steel frame around the top.

I baked this banana cake yesterday and it came out of the pan cleanly, you can see the residue and I did not use anything to loosen the sides, the cake pulled away from the sides, easy to see and it is a bit sticky.  I got a great rise, usually this cake is at least 1/4 less  in height

in a regular metal 9" round pan.  

I was sent a loaf pan and a 6 cup muffin pan and had similar experiences with those.

I have used a lot of silicone baking pans and these are superior to any of those, many of which were discarded.

The pan is rigid, isn't it?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Not exactly a "gadget" per se but I have been using these new silicone baking pans that have a steel frame around the top.

Lovely looking banana cake, @andiesenji !

Not sure if you have an Instant Pot,  but I'd like to know if these pans would fit inside. What is the maximum diameter (dimension of the pot handles) ?

18 minutes ago, Louise nadine brill said:

No, i haven't - but I think that is essentially what this setting is for on the Ocoo. It saved alot of time and hassle compared to my normal method of extracting juice. 

Ah nice. If you ever have to do large quantities, I recommend the steam juicer. It's just a set of pans with a silicone hose that drains into a separate container, and you can keep adding fruit until it's full (as it obviously compresses as the juice drains). Works really well for clear, concentrated juices.

Couple of years ago I ran a bunch of cactus pears through it - which would have been kind of impossible to juice, otherwise - and it made for a really awesome jelly.

Edited by jimb0 (log)

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

The pan is rigid, isn't it?

No, only the top rim is rigid.

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

Lovely looking banana cake, @andiesenji !

Not sure if you have an Instant Pot,  but I'd like to know if these pans would fit inside. What is the maximum diameter (dimension of the pot handles) ?

10 5/8 inches  from the outer edge of the handles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first got the silicone pans I made sticky buns in it and instead of just setting it on the oven rack, because with heavy stuff the bottom does bulge before baking, I set it on a sheet pan with a silicone liner, just in case any of the stuff ran over.

I was surprised when I put a platter on top and inverted it, after allowit it to cool a littel, about 20 minutes or so,  The buns came out perfectly.

I have had them stick in other silicone pans so I was very impressed with this one.

In the loaf pan I did a dark cocoa very dense cake which is notorious for sticking and it came out clean.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, jimb0 said:

Ah nice. If you ever have to do large quantities, I recommend the steam juicer. It's just a set of pans with a silicone hose that drains into a separate container, and you can keep adding fruit until it's full (as it obviously compresses as the juice drains). Works really well for clear, concentrated juices.

Couple of years ago I ran a bunch of cactus pears through it - which would have been kind of impossible to juice, otherwise - and it made for a really awesome jelly.

Good to know! Thank you 😁

• Like 1

I use a "tomato shark" for such things, which is also quite effective (disclosure: mine is an inexpensive knockoff, because I'm a cheap bast  a frugal person). Aside from strawberries and tomatoes, I find it very neatly cores halved apples, which makes for attractively uniform slices or wedges. .

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

30 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I use a "tomato shark" for such things, which is also quite effective (disclosure: mine is an inexpensive knockoff, because I'm a cheap bast  a frugal person). Aside from strawberries and tomatoes, I find it very neatly cores halved apples, which makes for attractively uniform slices or wedges. .

That's what I have, same colour.  Works really well.

• Like 2

Oh...and it's also great for scraping the membranes out of peppers when you're prepping them in quantity. Works great, it's fast, and there's little likelihood of gouging into/wasting the pepper's actual flesh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

After reading @andiesenji’s comment about reinforced silicone baking pans, I bought a muffin pan online. I make muffins often enough, and I am curious to see how it works with a recipe I currently make which requires paper liners. I had a silicone baking pan many years ago and hated it, in part due to the lack of structure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Oh...and it's also great for scraping the membranes out of peppers when you're prepping them in quantity. Works great, it's fast, and there's little likelihood of gouging into/wasting the pepper's actual flesh.

Never thought of using it for that.  Thanks!

On 5/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, adey73 said:

is this what you suspect too?

Eventually, yes. Maybe not for another year or two. Right now it sounds like they're working on 2 Searzalls, one with increased surface area and one that's souped up and should probably only be used outdoors.