• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

There's a topic devoted to discussion of this over here with a link to a video review.  I haven't seen anyone in the group actually reporting that they've used one yet. 

Edited to add that I don't have any counter area with access to an outlet that also has enough headspace to use this since the "fryer" lid is hinged and needs to stand up in the open position when you are using the pressure cooker so it's a no-go for me.

Ah-ha. It isn’t mentioned by name so it didn’t come up in the search. Interesting lid arrangement. I will have to think about where we’d put it.

• 1 year later...
On 9/18/2014 at 9:45 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I posted the picture over on the Ladies Who Lunch thread here.  

Well...it’s only 6 years later, but I just purchased a used unit for an incredible price. I pick it up tomorrow, and I am really excited! Unfortunately there isn’t a lot of information on how to use/ recipes. So far, it looks like The Ocoo has been adopted by a small group of elite Chefs in Spain - and while I do want to make Black Cauliflower, I am less interested in making a piece of celery look like a vanilla pod (both actual dishes). My hopes are to use it for flavour extraction from fruits for bonbon centers and/or jelly making, as well as performing all the usual tasks expected of a PC.The unit I purchased only has Korean Language on it - I think I can google translate to find out what the general buttons say but I cannot find anything online that is close to being an English user manual/recipe booklet. I came to egullet hoping to find some members who have experience/tips/recipes that they might share? 

6F56E6A4-F48F-4CFB-86F7-9F7B8AA9B530.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Louise nadine brill said:

Well...it’s only 6 years later, but I just purchased a used unit for an incredible price. I pick it up tomorrow, and I am really excited! Unfortunately there isn’t a lot of information on how to use/ recipes. So far, it looks like The Ocoo has been adopted by a small group of elite Chefs in Spain - and while I do want to make Black Cauliflower, I am less interested in making a piece of celery look like a vanilla pod (both actual dishes). My hopes are to use it for flavour extraction from fruits for bonbon centers and/or jelly making, as well as performing all the usual tasks expected of a PC.The unit I purchased only has Korean Language on it - I think I can google translate to find out what the general buttons say but I cannot find anything online that is close to being an English user manual/recipe booklet. I came to egullet hoping to find some members who have experience/tips/recipes that they might share? 

6F56E6A4-F48F-4CFB-86F7-9F7B8AA9B530.jpeg

Maybe a good head-on photo would let somebody translate it.

7 hours ago, Louise nadine brill said:

We have had some discussions about the unit here in Spain in a cooking chat group. Some members have seen the presentations by those "elite chefs" and even talked to them, and some bought the unit.

My contention has always been -and the owners of the unit could not prove me wrong- that this is just an electric pressure cooker. It just has programs to cook with or without pressure, but those programs (like the ones promoted by the chefs for the black caulifrower and the like) do not advertise their actual pressure/temperature combinations anywhere. There are no physics I can think of that make this any different from an electric pressure cooker where you put your food in a container inside the cooker and steam-pressure cook or at a given temperature without pressure if below 100ºC. In fact some people has been able to replicate the dishes promoted by the chefs just cooking in a glass jar inside a standard pressure cooker (see http://afuegolento.com.ar/2018/04/12/la-coliflor-negra-clon/, in Spanish).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EnriqueB said:

We have had some discussions about the unit here in Spain in a cooking chat group. Some members have seen the presentations by those "elite chefs" and even talked to them, and some bought the unit.

My contention has always been -and the owners of the unit could not prove me wrong- that this is just an electric pressure cooker. It just has programs to cook with or without pressure, but those programs (like the ones promoted by the chefs for the black caulifrower and the like) do not advertise their actual pressure/temperature combinations anywhere. There are no physics I can think of that make this any different from an electric pressure cooker where you put your food in a container inside the cooker and steam-pressure cook or at a given temperature without pressure if below 100ºC. In fact some people has been able to replicate the dishes promoted by the chefs just cooking in a glass jar inside a standard pressure cooker (see http://afuegolento.com.ar/2018/04/12/la-coliflor-negra-clon/, in Spanish).

This makes sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adey73 said:

has anyone seen this, the Girovap by 100% Chef in Barcelona, a supposedly kitchen/bar grade rotary evaporator 

https://www.100x100chef.com/en/product-chef/1093-30/girovap

am @JoNorvelleWalker is interested! 😁

Till I clicked on "see price".

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, Louise nadine brill said:

No offense intended to me it just looks like a super-duper Instapot. Not sure what I'm missing.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Water bath + flask + sink aspirator or vacuum pump = about $200

A little slower because of the lack of rotation.

Ebay has rotary evzporators for around $650

Edited by gfweb (log)

On 5/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, gfweb said:

This makes sense.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:17 AM, EnriqueB said:

I would never spend $550-750 on one. I got really lucky and found one for $150 including the voltage transformer - so i was powerless to say no.😂 i have cauliflower in there now...so far nothing has blown up, and i had a lovely Korean voice Come out of the machine and give me instructions (that I don't understand.). Next i am doing apple extract and theN i’ll test pectin levels to see if i can use this for pectin stock for my jams/jellies preserves. After that “onion essence” - looks like it’s drunk as a broth - but i’d like to see if it makes perfect french onion soup attainable. After that...black garlic for sure. After that - not sure other than using it for the same thingS i currently use my pressure cookers for already. 

C2274DD9-2217-4771-A12C-BCBA67CEC84D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Porthos said:

For that money I'd buy a Blue Star range.

Yeah - no way i’d spend that much on another pressure cooker (i already own 3). I can rattle off at least 5 chocolate/confectionary pieces of equipment I’d spend $700 on i stead. But i got lucky and bought  this For $150 With voltage transformer and couldn't pass it up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Made in France, it's called a mouli-julienne. Precursor to the food processor.

My mom had the old all-metal version.  I have the orange plastic one shown in the video.  I've had it for 40 years (bought it for my first kitchen as a college undergrad) and still use it regularly. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My mom had the old all-metal version.  I have the orange plastic one shown in the video.  I've had it for 40 years (bought it for my first kitchen as a college undergrad) and still use it regularly. 

I'm sorry, and slightly embarrassed, to say that when we moved into our current house over 20 years ago I found one of these in some cranny behind a corner kitchen cupboard. I couldn't figure out its value, and I tossed it.  I wish I could remember more clearly!  Maybe it was just a couple of parts instead of the entire piece?  

Yep, that's it...it was only a couple of parts, not the whole thing. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ocoo adventures day 2. Made black cauliflower. It was black. It was, as expected, mushy. I was not impressed with the flavour. I guess i thought there would be some super Maillard sweetness ..none. I threw it out, and i rarely throw anything out. Today..black garlic in honey. Almost finished it’s 7 hour session. I had not anticipated how strong the smell would be. The cauliflower yesterday wasn’t  pleasant but MAN - Today my whole house smells like garlic. Like no escaping it., and I can tell it’s going to take days to get rid of it.  Makes me think twice about all my fermenting plans.