• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

New to me but probably not exactly new, I just bought a WMF potato masher

Nowhere near new. It's just a standard potato ricer, isn't it? I've had one for decades.

Here's mine.

ricer1.jpg

ricer2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Rices potatoes but also does a fine job of squeezing cooked spinach dry. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

New to me but probably not exactly new, I just bought a WMF potato masher:

http://www.wmf.com/en/potato-masher-0610809990.html

Looks like an overgrown garlic press on steroids.  The funny thing is I cannot determine the country of origin.  Neither from the tool itself, the manufacturer's website, the packaging materials, nor amazon.  Does anybody have a clue?

They are known as potato "ricers" in the U.S.  I have several, one is about 80 years old.  I have found that the RSVP one is easier for me to use now that I have arthritis in my hands.  The handles are larger and easier to grip.   I have one like yours and I have a different style that I use to use a lot - a Norpro - but the handles are difficult to grip and it doesn't have a hook to rest on the edge of a bowl.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.59.19 PM.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yes, but none of these responses help.  I had a generic aluminum potato ricer years ago but my question is:  where is the WMF made?

Are not they required to say?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

...where is the WMF made?

Ask WMF.

If it's not openly toted as American, Canadian, French, German or Italian made — I bet it's made in China.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Looks like an overgrown garlic press on steroids.  The funny thing is I cannot determine the country of origin.  Neither from the tool itself, the manufacturer's website, the packaging materials, nor amazon.  Does anybody have a clue?

WMF appears to be a German company.  Does that automatically mean their products are made in Germany? Probably not.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, but none of these responses help.  I had a generic aluminum potato ricer years ago but my question is:  where is the WMF made?

Are not they required to say?

I found a very heavy SS one a couple of months back and bought it - made in Italy I recall.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I looked it up. It's made in Germany.

WMF is synonymous with quality and design. Every town in Germany has a WMF shop or 2 and departments stores stock everything by them.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

We call this a potato ricer. Work great for family meals. If making more a food mill is faster

WMF is a German company. Where you potato ricer is manufactured is anybody's guess

I used to own a ricer like the one liuzhou pictured. I learned the hard way that hot potato squishing out onto your fingers from the side of the ricer as you press the handles together is not a fun experience. I ending up giving it away and buying a ricer like the ones that JoNorvelleWalker and andiesenji mentioned. Better safe than sorry!

edited for emphasis

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, BonVivant said:

I looked it up. It's made in Germany.

WMF is synonymous with quality and design. Every town in Germany has a WMF shop or 2 and departments stores stock everything by them.

Thanks.  Where did you find the information?  By EU rules isn't a product required to state the country where it is made?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Just used my ricer to wring out the water from salted grated cucumbers for my raita.  Worked a treat!

Yep. Forgot to mention that one. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

We seem to have an invader.  

Here's the other type of ricer I have - these handles are killers for me.  It is going out in the trash.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 3.25.34 PM copy.jpg

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure this is not new. Just new to me but it left me with my jaw dropped almost to my knees. Really? Need I say it won't be showing up in my kitchen? Perhaps I should've posted it in the funnies forum.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am sure this is not new. Just new to me but it left me with my jaw dropped almost to my knees. Really? Need I say it won't be showing up in my kitchen? Perhaps I should've posted it in the funnies forum.

Hey!  We need a video!!! :P

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There was a multi one offered quite a few years ago - but it was metal and was for a grill or oven.

I see they do have a 4-dog  unit which I guess is for the microwave.  I think the one I saw back in the 80s ?  was for 6 "dogs" .

There was one on ebay a couple of years ago.  

Evidently there's a market for hamburgers that resemble dog turds. It's a wonderful world we live in. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning