• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

I have a bunch of the Charles Viancin products.  The overboil protector, the steaming lid, colander steamer and of course the LIDS.

I posted a couple of years ago about the Lilypad lids which I use constantly, the big "rectangular" banana leaf lids which is perfect for the rectangular Pyrex bakers and since then I have added some other lids, just because I like the looks.

I have purchased most of the newer ones from Amazon but before they were available there, I got the earlier ones from Chef's Resource which carried the full line from the beginning. - and they email frequent discounts.  

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

While not new in kitchen gadgets I will say that the discovery of the Charles Viancin Silicone Cover pot/bowl covers has allowed me to stop using foil to cover bowls to keep things warm while finish up a meal, I made a traditional pork roast with root vegetables for dinner last night. Potatoes into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, Carrots into a bowl,cover with a CVSC, onions into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, make pan-drippings gravy, cover the saucier with a CVSC, keeping it all warm while I then carved the roast.

I'm also a lover of silicone pot/bowl lids.

The Charles Viancin were too flowery and textured for my taste, and too expensive for my budget.

I stood my ground and held out until I stumbled on steeply discounted Lékué silicone suction lids at T.J.Maxx...a set of three lids (10", 8" and 6") for just ~$15.00 + tax.

I suspect the steep discount was due to the orange color being discontinued.

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for more silicone lid bargains. :)

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

For the Foodie in your life:

"The Edible Spoon Maker"

The Edible Spoon Maker cooks spoons out of any dough you place inside its spoon-shaped molds. Just use the dough cutter to shape spoons from your favorite homemade or store-bought dough, bake for three minutes, then remove your warm, crispy carb spoon. 

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Admittedly I have a kitchen toy fetish but I don't see me lining up for one of these. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Back when I always seemed to be either entertaining a lot or doing a lot of (free) catering for weddings, etc. I definitely could have used that spoon-maker. Doesn't quite fit into my current lifestyle (so far) but I admit it I love the idea of it, silly as it may seem to most.

• Like 3

I'm with Anna N.  I LOVE gadgets and odd appliances (and have a vast number) but I am trying to "thin the herd" now so will not be opting for one of these.

I just gave two of my pie bakers to a neighbor whose children have reached that age of wanting to help mom with the cooking and especially the baking.  Since I had two, I gave them two that bakes 4 little pies each.  I still have one that makes 2 larger pies.

This is intriguing though.  I wonder if it would work with the dense dough I used to make stroopwaffles from.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I didn't know it until a few minutes ago but I have been waiting for this for many years.

Amazon

56c76a4005cc4_ScreenShot2016-02-19at11.1

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)
  • Like 1

I'm not interested in making counter space for that unitasker. As it is I bake my bacon (400 F, keeping an eye on it until it's done) unless I am specifically after bacon drippings. Then I do cook them in a frying pan.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'm not even slightly tempted. I have so, so many ways to cook bacon.  Damn somebody has to come up with a toy I want! 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There was a similar appliance, back in the '70s, made by Westinghouse and I found a story and pictures about it 

HERE.

I don't know how I managed to miss this back then but I did.  Now I am wondering how I can find one that works.  

17 hours ago, andiesenji said:

There was a similar appliance, back in the '70s, made by Westinghouse and I found a story and pictures about it 

HERE.

I don't know how I managed to miss this back then but I did.  Now I am wondering how I can find one that works.  

Neat looking device but I can certainly understand why it become very popular. As mentioned previously it was a "One Trick Pony" and had to be a bear to clean up after use. There certainly much easier ways to accomplish the same task.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

13 hours ago, Deryn said:

I want a robot that does all the cleaning up, not the cooking.

You and me both, Deryn!

I actually enjoy knife work, finding it sort of zen-like. The cleaning up part, not at all. It's an integral part of maintaining a happy and productive kitchen, but that does not mitigate my dislike much. The only thing that makes me clean my kitchen spotless after every meal is my greater dislike of returning to a gross kitchen later and having to clean before I can cook anything.

If they ever come out with an affordable product like Rosie, the robot maid from "The Jetsons", I'm all over that. :laugh: 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I know they are out there, dcarch (or will be) - but that thing is so large and clunky and slow, it would drive me nuts to sit around and watch it work in 'slo-mo' - not to mention I would have to redesign my kitchen most likely so it (or both of us at once) would fit. I am picturing something softer - that can give me a hug once in a while if what I cook doesn't turn out the way I planned it, and it would be nice if it is able to quickly get the pans washed between uses during a single dinner service - without bumping into me as I cook. At the rate that robot appears to work, it would take a week to get a load of laundry done. Even at my age, I can beat that by a few days.

• Like 2

"----- At the rate that robot appears to work, it would take a week to get a load of laundry done. Even at my age, I can beat that by a few days. ---"

Not at all. Speed is not a problem. They are not at this point trying to make household robots smaller and faster. They sure have the technology to make them very fast and small. They are at the very beginning to converge all current knowledge in artificial intelligence, mechanics, digital hardware, software, facial recognition, audio recognition ------------------.

There is no question that a mechanical "slave" will be around soon.

dcarch 

• Like 1