• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

IIRK, Cook's Illustrated also liked Farmland's bacon best out of all they tried. It doesn't seem to exist in upstate NY, or Michigan, or western PA. Maybe it's a western brand?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

So I fully expect to be drummed out of eG almost anytime. Today while in a thrift store I found one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25475A-Breakfast-Sandwich/dp/B00EI7DPOO

Anna, thanks for taking one for the team...and posting about it.  :cool:

At least now I know if I stumble across one selling for a ridiculously low price, I shouldn't pass it up.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Anna, thanks for taking one for the team...and posting about it.  :cool:

At least now I know if I stumble across one selling for a ridiculously low price, I shouldn't pass it up.

Thanks Toliver. Some people play golf, some people go to the movies, some people buy expensive antique cars. I haunt thrift stores and when I find an abandoned kitchen gadget that costs under $10 I am over the moon. To me it is cheap amusement and I always learn something even if the something is that I just wasted $10! But then, in this dark world, can amusement ever be a waste?

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Im with you on this AnnaN

there are no significant thrift stores in my area, so Ive given up.

'Yard Sales" make no appeal to me at all.

I do like you McMuffin-er.

Tj's used to have a very very nice Fz breakfast sausage pattie.  oddly it was vegetarian and organic.  I enjoyed it

it was as good or even better than 'most' BrSausage, bar  Jones in the Roll.

of course, it was D/C's

the one they have now  ( Morningstar ??? ) reminds me of warm cardboard.

.... I haunt thrift stores and when I find an abandoned kitchen gadget that costs under $10 I am over the moon. To me it is cheap amusement and I always learn something even if the something is that I just wasted $10! ...

I feel the same way.

I have a love affair with the Revereware 3 qt saucepan. A few months ago I needed to lend the one that is part of my Ren Faire kitchen to a guild member who's 9-year-old was suffering nausea and needed something to catch the matter if more came up on the way home. I got it back a few week ago. I could tell (because of just how anal I am about how I clean things) that they had used it in their kitchen  before it got returned. Their son is one of the cooks in my Ren Faire kitchens and so I asked him a couple of weeks ago if they had used it. After describing it he asked, "That wasn't one of our pans?" to which my DW stated that I should start looking for one for them. Tuesday I found one for $3.59. I have cleaned it up and it is currently in the dishwasher and will be delivered to them this weekend.

This is the one I grew up with, most likely older than I am:

Pan.jpg

Since I am in thrift stores at least every other week I can attest to how many "As Seen On TV" items quickly make their way from manufacturer to consumer to thrift store. That said 'What's new in kitchen gadgets" can run the gammut from gimmick to very useful. I've already commented on just how quickly I fell in love with  (yeah - I know - they say you can't love inanimate objects) the Charles Viancin silicone flower lids.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping to post a photograph of one of these that we saw in a Korean store yesterday. I still haven't figured out the purpose of this gadget. For almost $500 it would truly have to amaze me. Both Kerry and I read the recipe book but none the wiser when we finished!

http://www.amazon.com/OCOO-Double-Boiler-Cooker-Extractor/dp/B00L4JL4RY

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Was hoping to post a photograph of one of these that we saw in a Korean store yesterday. I still haven't figured out the purpose of this gadget. For almost $500 it would truly have to amaze me. Both Kerry and I read the recipe book but none the wiser when we finished!

I posted the picture over on the Ladies Who Lunch thread here.  

Thank you for posting that Amazon link. I particularly like the 'Safety' section from that writeup:

"Safety : The product gives utmost priority to safety for it utilizes high pressure steam for double boiling. Germanium pots provides antibacterial and deodorizing actions and dilute to drop residual agricultural chemicals, and they also emit far-infrared rays during cooking."

I had no idea germanium could do so much. :-D

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What can it do that can't be produced in any pressure cooker? 

Here is one method for berries.   I have in the past used this method for extracting flavor from rose petals, lavender blossoms, orange blossoms  and from bushels of anise hyssop leaves (for the "rootbeer" flavor) and from celery for a "refined" celery juice. 

About 70 years ago Cornell (their archives are a great source for cooking and baking arcana) published a booklet on steam extraction of juices from fruits and vegetables.  So this is not "new."

Here are some accessories that can be used.  I just use an elevated grid with a stainless steel colander (no handles so it fits in the pot) to hold the fruit.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29306111

Not quite on the shelves yet but this pan promises to take all the guesswork (fun?) out of cooking.

Edited to fix missing word.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Not sure just how 'new' they are but I've just discovered the battery-operated pepper mill.  I love having it next to the range where I can used it one-handed.  Mine has the button on top; some you have to turn over to engage.  The button model works much better for me.

It here:  http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-Pepper-Grinder-EPEM001/dp/B00C3OK4TS/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1411393349&sr=1-7&keywords=pepper+mill

I have several of the battery powered mills because I use several varieties of peppercorns.  I prefer the ones that dispense from the top because I got tired of the "debris" that constantly leaked from the bottom of that type.  I had to keep the mills on a tray to keep the counters clean. 

Also the distribution of the pepper for my purposes is more even and easier to control (for me) but it is, like so many other things, strictly personal preference.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how new these are but they didn't have a review on amazon:

Sillymann Cooking Tongs

I bought them because I recently got an electric grill with a non stick surface.  The amount of spring in the handles of the Sillymann is just right, and the uncoated wood is attractive.  After washing and before use I gave them a good rubdown with walnut oil.

Obviously they don't go in the dishwasher but cleanup was easy.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'll list this as "new to me."  This quail egg cutter works well and is a terrific time/stress saver. 

http://www.amazon.com/Seki-Quail-Egg-Shell-Cutter/dp/B000AR2J5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412790286&sr=8-1&keywords=quail+egg+cutter

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Looks cumbersome.  Anyone actually tried it out?

Why is the chef's right thumb resting on top of the knife while cutting?  I don't think I could do that.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou