• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what they think this is. It is Ikea brand heavy weight plastic with stainless steel legs. A friend gave it to me and they didn't know what it is!

100_2088.JPG100_2089.JPG

It's very obviously a giant jelly mould. Ideal for parties of 50 or more children

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Might the Ikea device be an ici bucket combined with tray for olives etc?

Thanks for mentioning the Rosle pizza cutter, andiesenji. My husband has been after the perfect, for him, pizza wheel for years. So far he is delighted with this. The packaging warns against machine washing but the thing comes apart easily and on the basis that it would get little use if hand washing was required it has been subjected to the washing up machine several times with no damage to date.

I've got beyond counting the money I've spent on other pizza cutters. I ordered this through Amazon Market Place where unfortunately the packing/postage charge was high. I'm hoping however that this sees an end to the saga and some new gadget will become the focus of my searches!

Thanks again for listing the cutter!

Diana

• 3 weeks later...

Kitchenaid has a new food processor with sliding button that lets you adjust the thickness/thiness of of your slices.

The adjustable thickness slider is a brilliant idea...no more different blade discs with a set slicing thickness,

Yes, it's an expensive machine. I hope this adjustable thickness button idea spreads to other (less expensive) models.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think Test Kitchen reviewed that new blade and didnt like it. they also said that the blade itself did not get close enough to the side of the bowl as the older model did.

for what its worth. and Kitchen Aid is one of their major sponsors. their review is a little hard to find therefore.

but ... presto here it is:

http://www.americast...php?docid=26352

I guess ( soooooo shocking! ) the stuff they use on TV is not necessarily what they like the best. but for a consideration ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 months later...

So the housewares inventor and manufacturer "Quirky" say they invented a household "Broom Groomer" and then accused OXO Goodgrips of stealing their idea, then they staged a protest in front of OXOs offices.

OXO then totally obliterated them in this online retort.

http://www.oxo.com/quirkyresponse.aspx

Classy and Classic!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So the housewares inventor and manufacturer "Quirky" say they invented a household "Broom Groomer" and then accused OXO Goodgrips of stealing their idea, then they staged a protest in front of OXOs offices.

OXO then totally obliterated them in this online retort.

http://www.oxo.com/quirkyresponse.aspx

Classy and Classic!

I didn't see the protest but I could have told them they were way off base... These have been around for at least forty years - the janitor in my office building always used one. In a medical building there are often gauze bandages and cotton left on the floors and the only way to get this stuff out of the broom bristles is to "comb" it out.

OXO is entirely correct.

I got one to use at home because of the dog hair during the "shedding" season.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Being an avid foodie, I often receive kitchen gadgets most of which languish in some drawer or another. This year I was given a garlic roller which has already seen many uses. I thought I'd share it with you.

I'll start off with an observation that I can't use garlic presses. Maybe I'm using old garlic but the pressure needed to get the garlic through the holes has led to me snapping more handles of garlic presses than I'd like to recount. And yes, this includes some of the supposedly strong garlic presses.

Anyway on with the roller. I'm not sure if it's new but it was new to me and it works extremely well for my needs.

This is the garlic zoom roller cutter.

IMG_0628.jpg

Here it is with the cutting mechanisms removed.

IMG_0629.jpg

Now with a clove of garlic in the top.

IMG_0631.jpg

After having rolled it back and forth across the bench top.

IMG_0633.jpg

and the chopped garlic.

IMG_0635.jpg

The brand is called chef'n. It's called a "garlic zoom." I've seen it on Amazon. This one is a keeper.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Looks like a fun item to keep just to confound visitors... Thanks Nick.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Tea shark!

I was wandering about Copenhagen's Kødbyen (meatpacking/food industry wholesale district), wondering why so many people seem to be sick on the pavement in this area in the middle of the week, when I glanced up from the spew-obstacle course for a moment, and noticed a small shop call Tante T.
I carefully picked my way over to the door, and went in. The shop sells tea, and a variety of other things that go with tea, among which was this, and I immediately wanted it:

SharkTeaBall _2013-02-03_13.16.43.png

I was sceptical about the likelihood of this floating as shown in the picture on the box, but assured myself that it was worth the price to satisfy my curiosity (and if it had floated sideways or upside-down, it would just have been my diseased or dead shark :rolleyes:)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping up this topic because this is the time for getting those gifts for cooks and there must be some clever new "gadgets" out there (that I haven't yet seen) and I like to know what other folks are buying as gifts, for themselves and just wishing for.

I came across this combo knife block and tablet holder and thought it was a clever idea. At present I put my iPad in a ziplock bag and hang it from a cabinet at eye level.

I keep my knives on mag bars but when I am working, I will have a few on the counter. I think this would be handy for the knives I would be using - to keep from having them lay on the counter.

I'm bumping up this topic because this is the time for getting those gifts for cooks and there must be some clever new "gadgets" out there (that I haven't yet seen) and I like to know what other folks are buying as gifts, for themselves and just wishing for.

I came across this combo knife block and tablet holder and thought it was a clever idea. At present I put my iPad in a ziplock bag and hang it from a cabinet at eye level.

I keep my knives on mag bars but when I am working, I will have a few on the counter. I think this would be handy for the knives I would be using - to keep from having them lay on the counter.

If I had the counter space I would be jumping on this.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A new way to eat your cereal so it will stay crispy:

The Obol

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Thanks!  I just ordered one.

Will be interested to hear how it works out. To my thinking it would make more sense if it was more of gathered silicone petals/leaves for retrieving food after cooking but it may have some uses for sous vide-type cooking? With a weight to keep items loose but submerged? I'm definitely no expert.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I use mine quite often.  Holds food items that I want to cook in sauce but want to keep from breaking them up with stirring.

Also holds mesh and  perforated "tea balls" with herbs and spices without the annoyance of those little metal hooks slipping off the edges of pans and disappearing into the depths...

Cooking eggs, blanching vegetables, expressing water from small batches of greens (carrying out to the deck and swinging it in a circle) instead of messing up the salad spinner for a handful of herbs or leaves.

HPIM5821.JPG

HPIM5822.JPG

There are three tea balls inside it as pictured.

I can stuff a dozen jumbo eggs in there.  Makes it easy to pull them out at the proper time and plunge into ice water.

Edited by andiesenji (log)