• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

Okay, I have found the gadget that I really want. :wub:

Unfortunately it is apparently not yet available.

Watch the video and marvel!

Better video of the

, with some explanation.

The ultimate cookie maker's spatula? :wub: :wub:

I was thinking of cake decorations with complex designs where one would not want to work on the cake itself. A baker friend has one of the lace-making gadgets but rarely uses it because it takes so much time because he has to be so careful to not damage the part of the cake that is already decorated.

I think there might be any number of applications for it in candymaking and who knows what else.

I've emailed both links (thanks Quiltguy) to a friend who does special effects makeup and has complained about constructing "appliances" scars and etc., and then having difficulty transferring them to a curing chamber without distorting. (I know absolutely nothing about this subject, other than what I have heard from her, so am probably getting this wrong.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

This morning a DRTV-Email showed up in my Inbox with this. :blink:

Eggies

I'm beginning to wonder about the seeming fascination and plethora of gadgets that attempt to deal with the "problem" of hard-boiled eggs.

Obviously someone thinks there is money in it! :hmmm:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Eggies

I'm beginning to wonder about the seeming fascination and plethora of gadgets that attempt to deal with the "problem" of hard-boiled eggs.

C'mon Andie. Go for it. Get it, try it and report back. :smile: Personally, I loathe the texture of hard-boiled eggs, but DH loves them so I make them for him (and the pups).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Eggies

So nice. I like this one. :) Anyone tried this here?

10 min. eggs in the shell?

They are not in the shell. They are cooked in the little floating containers.

Eggies

I've been looking into getting some egg coddlers later. Wonder how these compares....

I found this interesting report about the product,

It's enough to convince me that I don't need this particular item.

Really, too good to be true - actually.

Thank you Andie. First laugh of the day watching that video!! :laugh: :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks, Andie, for posting that. I still remember when I fell for the Eggstractor gadget. It was simply a waste of money also. Since I boil 2 batches of 5 dozen each when I do make HB eggs I'll stick with the equipment and techniques that work for me. The eggs are for large quantities of egg salad.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 months later...

Today's email from Gear Patrol included this interesting meat tenderizer

It looks like it belongs in a torture chamber (along with some of the antique gadgets I have collected.

I love that fancy automated spatula. One could shape foams, soft gels etc, and them move them into place (if one left enough width for working room). fun fun fun!

Is anyone selling two matched steel bowls and calling them a Garlic Peeler yet?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Some high-end brands are producing full-surface induction cooktops where the whole space can be used (rather than having three or four circles). They adapt automatically to whatever pot size and shape your place over them. Perfect for indoors big paellas :smile:

For example, Gaggenau makes this one (not available in Gaggenau US)

Holy crap that's a beautiful cooktop. Unfortunately, the interface leaves something to be desired and the limitation of 4 pans max renders many of it's potential advantages moot.

PS: I am a guy.

• 1 month later...

So, everyone knows how much I like gadgets. People send me links to sites that have new and interesting items that may be of interest to me.

I just got a couple of these - they were on another site but I got them from Amazon.

A "baggy holder" that has "arms" that extend to handle larger baggies - I use mostly the Zip type.

Shown with a quart size and with a gallon size. It seems stable. I did pour in some dry beans to see how stable it would be.

I had another baggy holder some years ago but it had a narrower base (as I recall) and kept tipping over. I have yet to try this one with liquid but I think it should work and it's cheap enough to toss if it doesn't live up to the hype.

blue zip is a quart bag

bag holder 1.JPG

bag holder 2.JPG

red zip is a gallon bag

bag holder 3.JPG

bag holder 4.JPG

I have tried filling it with different things and with liquids and semi-liquid things I can hold a canning funnel in my left hand while pouring into the bags and it works perfectly.

Using a ladle alone can result in some exterior drips but ladling with the funnel also works well.

I'm sending one to my daughter as I think it will be useful for her and using additional ones should make things even more handy. She fills a lot of plastic baggies for lunches.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

So, everyone knows how much I like gadgets. People send me links to sites that have new and interesting items that may be of interest to me.

I just got a couple of these - they were on another site but I got them from Amazon.

A "baggy holder" that has "arms" that extend to handle larger baggies - I use mostly the Zip type.

Shown with a quart size and with a gallon size. It seems stable. I did pour in some dry beans to see how stable it would be.

I had another baggy holder some years ago but it had a narrower base (as I recall) and kept tipping over. I have yet to try this one with liquid but I think it should work and it's cheap enough to toss if it doesn't live up to the hype.

blue zip is a quart bag

bag holder 1.JPG

bag holder 2.JPG

red zip is a gallon bag

bag holder 3.JPG

bag holder 4.JPG

That would be great for sous vide and vacuum packaging in general!

I have tried filling it with different things and with liquids and semi-liquid things I can hold a canning funnel in my left hand while pouring into the bags and it works perfectly.

Using a ladle alone can result in some exterior drips but ladling with the funnel also works well.

I'm sending one to my daughter as I think it will be useful for her and using additional ones should make things even more handy. She fills a lot of plastic baggies for lunches.

I'm sold! Gotta get a couple of those. So frustrating sometimes to fill bags especially with liquids and I do a lot of S-V so keeping the seal clean matters a lot. Thank you for sharing. You are the Queens of Kitchen Gadgets for certain.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't imagine raining on any ones parade.

that being said:

consider, say a 1 QT saved yogurt container.

consider putting your Bag in that and fold over the top edges so it Fits and you do not contaminate the top.

Works well for me.

re: SV: Ive cut the bottom off a study plastic container that 'fits well' in the SV bags, which I also place in a 1 qt yog. container for stability, then add the Stuff. I have two of these ( well more than one of each size) one for the smaller bags and one for the larger bags. (several for each)

this Funnel saves the top of the SV bag form liguids and helps for a seal.

maybe ill take some pics tomorrow?

works Gooodly.

I can't imagine raining on any ones parade.

that being said:

consider, say a 1 QT saved yogurt container.

consider putting your Bag in that and fold over the top edges so it Fits and you do not contaminate the top.

Works well for me.

re: SV: Ive cut the bottom off a study plastic container that 'fits well' in the SV bags, which I also place in a 1 qt yog. container for stability, then add the Stuff. I have two of these ( well more than one of each size) one for the smaller bags and one for the larger bags. (several for each)

this Funnel saves the top of the SV bag form liguids and helps for a seal.

maybe ill take some pics tomorrow?

works Gooodly.

Yeah - it works - but it's not a gadget damnit - and we love gadgets!

well, it is a gadget. its just one you make.

you could paint it in some sort of Techicolor and E-bay it.

then you could buy it back for Cheeeep. You could use the postage you give yourself for more:

Calamari!

:rolleyes: