• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

Anna N and I were at the Toronto Gift Show today and ran across some notable new gadgets that piqued our interest.

The first was a silicone lid made by Danesco that when placed on a bowl forms a seal. You can actually pick up the bowl with the lid. Here is a link. Look at bottom row, bowl cover, item number 1312011.

The company that makes the silicone food loops now makes a silicone loop with a needle on the end that can be used to lace up your poultry etc. It's called the Food Lace. The same company also is making stainless steel food loops that can be used on the grill - a shortcoming of the silicone food loops. No pictures available for those yet.

I know the first post on this subject was in 2008 and the link no longer is accurate, but last March I think I saw that silicone lid thing at the Chicago Housewares Show. I was (and wasn't) impressed with it. I'm not sure if I am talking about the same product as the link info no longer applies, but if I am thinking of the same product where a flat circular silicone device is placed over any bowl/vessel and it forms a strong seal for storage, the I am on the same page.

When I saw this item, my immediate impression was that it was not that useful. You had to push it down to make a seal which meant that it depressed into the bowl and you couldn't use the whole bowl volume. Also the edges of the circular thing hung over the bowl to ensure that it maximized space in the fridge. Sure, they had small medium and large sizes, but I still didn't find it efficient in terms of storage space. And I really couldn't see how this would be better than regular storage containers that are made to be stackable. Also, I can take 'press and seal' film and put it over anything -- even more than the silicone thing, but as soon as the leftovers are used up enough, I quickly transfer the food t to another (smaller).

Sounds like exactly the same thing. I never actually got one of these - but my thought was it would allow you to use any bowl as a storage container not just the ones you had lids for - and that I wouldn't have to throw away plastic wrap. Don't think I ever saw it as something for long term storage - just a quick lid for dough or whatever.

I tried several silicone lids, including the Danesco and I have sets of different sized stretchy silicone lids that I use all the time as they will even fit over measurers with a lip on one side. Coverflex is the brand, and another rather expensive set I bought at the kitchen outlet store has UFO on the top but they have no rim and I only use them in the microwave.

Orka made some but I haven't seen them recently - I think they were sold by Chefs Catalog or Cooking.com.

I didn't like the Danesco and it split on one edge, thus no longer forming a seal, after just a couple of months of use.

For stovetop, on pans that are odd sized, for which I have no lids, I use a Progressive 'Universal' lid (the blue one with metal center which makes it rigid. It has a handle that is easy to grab and it really forms enough of a seal to steam stuff, even in a shallow frying pan. Well worth the money.

Silicone lids

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this the other day and thought it was neat...

http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/08/kitchenaids-chef-touch-whirlpools-foray.html'>http://blog.medellitin.com/2010/08/kitchenaids-chef-touch-whirlpools-foray.html

More of an appliance than a gadget, but I'd love to have it in the kitchen I will one day own. It's a combination steam oven/shock freezer/chamber vacuum. They're calling it a sous vide machine, but it lacks a controlled water bath.

Thanks for the link! My questions are:

1. How much will it cost?

2. Will it be available in the US?

Anyone across the pond have any info?

- Pablo

http://blog.medellitin.com

As far as the answer to #1, it looks like the total unit will cost ~17.5k USD. My analysis says that isn't totally unreasonable for what it is [blastchiller + chamber-vac + combi-oven + home kitchen aesthetic], but I have a hard time imagining a lot of people spending that much money on it.

~p

http://blog.medellitin.com

• 4 months later...

Bumping this up as today's email from Gear Patrol included this

Titanium Folding Spork

Remembering some discussion about sporks and the like some time ago, I thought there might be some interest! :laugh:

Not exactly kitchen "gear" but the same email included a blurb about

Zingerman’s Bacon of the Month Club :blink: for the bacon fanatics among us.

Now I am a huge fan of bacon but not quite to that degree.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recently lost my can opener. I'm sure I accidentally threw it away. I bought one of those new can openers that open the can on the side rather than the top, and I really like it. It seems to somehow undo the seam that seals the top of the can to the can. The top doesn't fall in and it's not sharp.

However, you have to have a regular can opener for backup because for some reason it will not open all cans, especially very large cans.

I recently lost my can opener. I'm sure I accidentally threw it away. I bought one of those new can openers that open the can on the side rather than the top, and I really like it. It seems to somehow undo the seam that seals the top of the can to the can. The top doesn't fall in and it's not sharp.

However, you have to have a regular can opener for backup because for some reason it will not open all cans, especially very large cans.

I love my Oxo can opener that opens from the sides, but it fails since 90% of the cans I open are tuna fish and you can't use the lid to squeeze out the water it's packed in :hmmm:

I have a couple of those - one is battery operated.

That's true they won't open big cans. But I have a commercial can opener for those (left over from my catering days.

• 1 month later...

Today's Kitchen Contraptions email included this interesting new

Strainer/serving bowl combination

and on that page is a link to this

modular spatula system

and a link to this

Sure Scoop

And, so you don't have to watch that pot, the Boil Buoy

plus this "Vesta" electric soup pot, or whatever.

I'm thinking that far too many people have way too much time on their hands. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Today's Gear Patrol email included this interesting and inexpensive "gadget"

the Fridge Monkey

I really don't get the name but it does look like it could be handy in any number of applications.

It's not a gadget, but the same email contained a note about the introduction of

Stumptown Coffee Roasters "Hair Bender Espresso Blend"

I have to confess that I simply do not understand some of these new names, which to me are not descriptive of the source, the method of preparation/roasting and I hope it is not the effect one gets from drinking the end product.

the Fridge Monkey

I really don't get the name but it does look like it could be handy in any number of applications.

I suspect the name refers to the same thing as 'cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey'. A monkey is the holder for cannon balls and when the weather gets cold the monkey contracts and the balls fall off! So indeed that item looks like that kind of a monkey.

Here's a new one to me (but I guess it has been around for a while): Fire Wire Steel Flexible Grilling Skewer

Are these worth a try?

Cook's Illustrated reviewed them July 2010:

The stainless steel Fire Wire Flexible Grilling Skewer (two for $9.95) is supposed to simplify outdoor cooking: a bendable, 27½-inch-long cable with a loop at one end and a stainless steel tip at the other. The extra-long cable holds twice as much food as regular foot-long skewers and can twist along curves to save grill space; unused wire hangs over the grill to function as a stay-cool turning handle. But as soon as we loaded on our chicken kebabs, the wire showed its shortcomings. First, it was so flexible, it took the use of both hands for flipping (imagine trying to turn a piece of string). Worse, the smooth, round cable tended to spin through the meat instead of flipping it. And the “stay-cool” handle? As with all skewers, raw food and cooked food must be added and removed from the same end. However, since it never touches the heat, the Fire Wire’s tip doesn’t get hot enough to kill harmful bacteria, forcing us to wash the tip of the fully loaded skewers before we could slide off the cooked food. We think our favorite sharp-edged skewers are flat-out better in every way.

Some high-end brands are producing full-surface induction cooktops where the whole space can be used (rather than having three or four circles). They adapt automatically to whatever pot size and shape your place over them. Perfect for indoors big paellas :smile:

For example, Gaggenau makes this one (not available in Gaggenau US)

the Fridge Monkey

It's not a gadget, but the same email contained a note about the introduction of

Stumptown Coffee Roasters "Hair Bender Espresso Blend"

I have to confess that I simply do not understand some of these new names, which to me are not descriptive of the source, the method of preparation/roasting and I hope it is not the effect one gets from drinking the end product.

Perhaps they were trying to think of a pack animal handling a heavy load and intended Donkey but went with Monkey instead, which sounds cuter.

As for the coffee, perhaps it's a riff off of the "Air Bender" book series?

Marketing can be a puzzle sometimes.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think Kerry's got it re Monkey - its a reference to the cannonball holder.

I think Toliver's pegged the Air Bender reference, and I bet it puns on hair standing on end from the strength of the brew.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I've ordered some of the "Fridge Monkeys" as I think it will be a good way to store some of the bottles of sauces I have. Since I have a P-Touch label printer, I will print labels to stick on the bottoms of the bottles to make them readily identifiable - that way I won't have to shuffle the ones in the front of the shelf to see the ones behind. I also am going to see if one will hold my collection of rolling pins.

I have some other ideas too.......... :biggrin:

I think Kerry's got it re Monkey - its a reference to the cannonball holder.

I think Toliver's pegged the Air Bender reference, and I bet it puns on hair standing on end from the strength of the brew.

Then again, it brought to mind my mom's expression "That's strong enough to curl your hair". I guess it's all in the regional dialect...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 4 weeks later...

Something new for your gadgets...customizable drawer inserts. They're made of silicone and can be cut to fit your drawers. The dividers can be placed where you want/need them.

Here's the link to a web site featuring the product:

DrawerDecor

There's a video on the above linked page that shows you how it can be used.

edtied for clarification

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Something new for your gadgets...customizable drawer inserts. They're made of silicone and can be cut to fit your drawers. The dividers can be placed where you want/need them.

Here's the link to a web site featuring the product:

DrawerDecor

There's a video on the above linked page that shows you how it can be used.

edtied for clarification

Ha! That is exactly what I've been looking for. I just moved from an apartment into a house and gained a bunch of drawer space. I figured it would be a good idea to spread out my non-everyday utensils.. so they're just thrown in a drawer with no organization which I cannot handle.

How about a toaster that lets you see the bread as it cooks? No more overcooked toast.. but is perfect toast worth $300? Plus it would be like watching water boil. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/magimix-glass-vision-toaster/?pkey=cnew-view-all

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have found the gadget that I really want. :wub:

Unfortunately it is apparently not yet available.

Watch the video and marvel!

Neat - looks like one of those 'super peels' in reverse.

Better video of the

, with some explanation.

The ultimate cookie maker's spatula? :wub: :wub:

Mind boggling. I wonder where this new product will go and what new techniques, not thought of at this point, will emerge.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.